Windows Security Center disabled, Malwarebytes may be the cause?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Black59Razor, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black59Razor

Black59Razor Registered Member

Hey there. I'm new to the forum. First and foremost I want to let everyone know I'm not that computer savvy so I may have to ask what certain things mean depending on the response, and I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed to death elsewhere. I looked around and found some similar issues on this forum, but ultimately I thought it would be best to post my specific case as the answers may help me fix my computer more efficiently.

In any case, recently I contracted a virus on my computer described as Vista Security 2012. Basically it's a virus that disguises itself as a legitimate security program and says your computer has a bunch of problems with it's security when it really doesn't. Basically I got rid of the virus using this uninstall guide:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-vista-security-2012

It worked. But now I have another issue. Windows Security Center has been deactivated and I can't reactivate it. I tried looking through the Services folder on my computer, but the option is not even listed in there. Also, my Windows Firewall and Windows defender is down.

I'm not sure if using Malwarebytes to finish the cleaning of my computer had something to do with it or one of the files I downloaded from the uninstall guide I listed earlier had something to do with it. I know one of those files was a registry-altering file and I'm guessing that is what the problem was. The file is called RKill. Sounds fitting.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out with this one. I'm not sure what to do next. I don't know if posting the logs of the scan I did with Malwarebytes to rid my computer of the virus will help or not. Thanks in advance.

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi, you used a self-help guide. I would advise you to make an account and ask for help at Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes

The people there will assist you.

Gerard

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

4. Black59Razor

I tried making an account at their forums, but I couldn't get past basic challenge question they have you answer when you try to make an account. The question was simple:

"Which do you like better cats or dogs".

I answered about 7 times because it kept saying my response was incorrect. I tried Dogs, dogs, cats, Cats, Cats or Dogs, cats or dogs, etc. So I don't know what the deal was. That appeared to be the only thing holding me back. Maybe I'll go try again.

EDIT: Still can't register.

5. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello Black59Razor:

I just ran a registration functionality test on the Malwarebytes' forum and I can verify that that it is perfectly functional at this time. Please try to register again.

Register

Your system may still be infected and the assistance of experts will no doubt be most helpful.

BTW - "Vista Security 2012" is not a virus. It's a rogue program.

HTH :)

6. Black59Razor

I think it is infected still. I use Mozilla Firefox and now I'm getting pop-up tabs to some random websites. It's not often, but it's annoying. Don't know if that has anything to do with my firewall being down.

Anyways, I'll try to register again.

EDIT: Still not working. I don't know what the issue is. I'm guessing it's my browser at this point (Mozilla). I erased cookies and everything before trying a final time. I'm installing the new internet explorer (the last version I have seems really infected). If this fails I guess I'll try using my friend's computer to try and register.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  7. Black59Razor

Okay it FINALLY worked. The registration for Malwarebytes forum. I still don't know what the problem was. I just kept entering the same thing over and over again in hopes it would work and it finally did. I was about to post screenshots of how ridiculous it was getting.

8. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

It sure sounds like you still have something redirecting FF.
    You could try using different quality scanners like MBAM or HitmanPro3 (and a slew of other AM progs) but I'd advice to do a reinstall.
    It usually saves time and agony and will give you a 100% clean box.

To rebuild Windows Security Center, you could try the following;
    1 Stop the "WMI/Windows Management Instrumentation" service. (type services in search and click Enter to go to services).
    2 Locate the folder "Repository" in c:\windows\system32\wbem. Delete only the 'Repository' folder.
    3 Now start the "WMI" service back on.
    4 Wait for at least 10 mins for the system to rebuild the information.
    5 Now reboot and open the security center. If it's not turned ON, turn ON and you will have the right info there.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. Black59Razor

Yeah I'm thinking about just doing a reinstall. I had sent my computer to Sony (I have a Vaio) to fix some hardware issues and they did that for me. I had all of my documents already saved on an external hard drive so that wasn't an issue. I can do that again too.

However I've never done a reinstall myself. Any suggestions to go about it? Oh and no I don't have any Windows discs or whatever.

11. Black59Razor

Okay I followed your instructions and there still wasn't any change. Went to the Security Center and tried to turn it on and it still couldn't be started.

12. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I assume you've got a (hidden) recovery partition on your Sony Vaio, which should enable you to reinstall your OS.
    Haven't got any experience with a Vaio, so I can't provide any details.
    Check all info provided by Sony link and your manual, perhaps you can also find further info on fora like these.
    WildersSecurity isn't the forum for these kind of questions I'm afraid.

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Have you tried a system restore to an earlier point in time.?If that dont work resboot the pc,and as it boots keep press the F12 key or depending on model it may be the F11 or ESC key.If you see a windows logo you need to start over.If you get in Follow on screen choice factory restore for exampl..once it starts the restore the PC does the rest.Note if its a laptop make sure AC power cord is pluged in to a power sourc.When its complete its all gravy, simple questions for Example language,time Zone and so forth.Good luck

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good idea dave:thumb:

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Thanks man.

16. Black59Razor

I wanted to do a system restore, but I don't think I can. A bit of bad luck it seems. The earliest restore point I found through an initial search was yesterday, which was after I already had the problems I'm experiencing now. I got my computer back from repair about three months ago when I sent it to Sony Vaio for some hardware issues. They reinstalled Windows Vista for me automatically. But I don't remember creating any System Restore points from three months ago when I first got my computer back. At least it's not listed on my computer. I thought my computer automatically made system restore points for me every so often, but that didn't seem to be that case.

In short, I don't think I can do a system restore. I haven't checked on it through the method you described by using f12 when starting the computer, but I'm not sure that would make a difference.

17. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

You can try Comodo Cleaning Essentials. Its a portable app. Click on Quick Repair. There's few options. Click on your user account & tick the repair options for Security Center.

Thanx
    Naren

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  18. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

cleaning is irrelevant - the security hole is still present!
    you better deal with a clean install or a proper image.

btw - disable java, pdf and flash only on demand in browser.
    if you got infected with browser one of those was causing the issue.
    otherwise improve your or your chair neighbors behavior ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.