Windows OS market shares

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Krysis, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Found this info on PC World:

''According to Net Applications, Windows February usage share was listed as :

Windows XP = 39% of all personal computers, or 42.6% of Windows-only machines.

Windows 7 = 44.6% of all PCs and 48.6% of all Windows PCs.

Windows 8 = including what the firm labeled as "touch" for Windows 8 and Windows RT—was 3% of all Windows PCs! ''

Link:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029822/windows-8-uptake-slows-for-third-straight-month.html

2. Sad because Win 8 has introduced some better security tools and applications.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Understandable though.

4. guest

guest Guest

:D GREAT news, THX for sharing! :D - So I guess I am not the only one or being part of a minority staying far away from Win8 (disgusted by it and even more so with MS policy), very satisfying feeling to have so many fellow not-win8-users so far! :D - Maybe they should change the name to something more realistic now? Like Lose8? :D - And I really don't believe that a 2nd marketing wave will change anything. People are not as dumb as MS thought ("touch, touch, touch!!!" - "Nope."), good lesson for Redmond. *puppy*

Yet. :D - Once Ballmer is suddenly "retiring" you will know ... brighter future ahead. :D

5. Daveski17

I don't think that the lesson has been learned.

6. guest

guest Guest

@ Daveski17

That was supposed to appear here. :D

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

lol!

i still need Windows to run my games and stuff like Photoshop and Illustrator.

and if i'm gonna need Windows i might as well get the latest since my machine can run it.
    Metro is easily bypassed anyway.

i'm learning dual booting Linux/Windows so i can reboot to whatever OS.
    best of both worlds! :thumb:

8. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

It seems that Windows 7 will rightfully take it's place as the 'new' XP – and Windows 8 is well on track to join Vista as one of Microsoft's also rans! :p

9. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

My bet is people/businesses will stay with Windows 7 until the last possible moment. Unless of course Microsoft comes out with more business oriented OS. Windows 8 is obviously meant for consumers.

10. guest

guest Guest

Oh well, the old XP is the new XP for me
    will not touch either bloated system Win 7 or 8

11. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

maybe so but could you honestly see windows 8 in the corporate environment.I could see it in the kindergarten class for motor skills and drawing stick people.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

13. Dark Shadow

I guess I better get busy with building my under ground shelter or just move to canada.:D Joking aside,I have two windows 8 laptops and its not bad for home use and some aspects its different and can be fun to use but I dont think its going to fly in a business work environment,if Vista didn't then I seriously doubt 8 will.My feeling is that windows 7 and XP will hold the market share for a long time.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  14. Daveski17

I wish people would stop comparing Vista with 8. The difference is that they fixed Vista. ;)

15. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! My feelings from a Marketing perspective...somebody in Redmond...specifically Marketing...should have positioned Windows 8 as a specialty release targeting Laptops...Netbooks...Tablets...and Smart Phones...Touch away...but please teacher leave my desktop alone...all in all just another Microsoft Brick in the Wall. Should have been branded Windows 8 Touch. Sincerely...Securon

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think you're right, especially in the business world, XP and 7 will reign for a long time. I don't care for 8 at all. Glad I have 7, at least until this machine dies. We'll see what's available when that time comes... :)

17. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Well, they kinda did that with RT. But, they wanted to tie everything together and make the apps work on all versions. It seems that they want to completely re-make Windows (to lock it down), but they can't just suddenly do that because many people need to run existing applications. That's something they've been pretty reasonable about in the past; you buy a new version of Windows, and you can still run the same software for the most part. So with Windows 8 we get this dual-interface version, for now at least.

I'd be curious to find out the breakdown of how many Win 8 users have it because a new PC (or other device) came pre-loaded with it, as opposed to those who bought it separately to install on an existing or new PC.

18. Dark Shadow

@ Daveski17,Its not a comparison,I had vista on a new laptop for quite some time before its first service pack So I am very familiar with it.It did not take off like XP yet it looked and worked like a Normal OS.Now trying to get folks to update to tiles is a hard sell IMO.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Most people will get 8 by buying a new machine. The real question is, how long will it really last before something else replaces it. I have a feeling that it won't be around too long...

20. Dark Shadow

I have a feeling your correct.Just a feeling and I could be wrong,that windows 9 will come and be back to like windows 7.

21. Daveski17

I think Vista just had teething problems for some. By the time it got to my country it worked fine. I preferred it to XP.

22. Dark Shadow

(I agree with you and after I had some kinks worked out it ran wonderful.)

23. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

That's the unfortunate part.

24. Dark Shadow

Actually if you order NEW direct from some manufactures you still have a choice and for example Dell and lenovo still offers a choice of windows 7 or 8.However off the shelf retail is much harder now to find windows 7 as there being shipped with windows 8.

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I agree with this. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.