Windows or Mac for Security????

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chinook9, Aug 8, 2016.

1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I am primarily a Windows user, however, I have used Linux quite a bit and I have a Macbook.

I now plan to start using the Macbook as my travel machine and when overseas (always wifi) I want it to be very secure. Should I make the Mac dual boot with Windows or is the Macbook already secure. I'd like the opinion of the forum members.

I run Windows with Sandboxie, a HIPS of some type, a firewall, and antivirus. All of the latter that I use are the ones reported to be the top of the heap in performance at the time. I rely on Sandboxie 100% when using a browser and my browser is Firefox with NoScript, WOT, and Norton DNS.

It would be much easier, and less expensive, for me to just leave the Mac as is using OS X if its secure but I just don't know that much about it. I use Avast on the Mac because its the only Mac antivirus I know of.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Apple Mac OSX is based on Unix BSD. You don't need an AV on a Mac. Just lock down your firewall and you're good to go.

Its inherently secure by design and in practice compared to Windows.

3. fax

fax Registered Member

IMO, you have better security with latest windows.
    There are actually good amount of malware also on MAC less then windows as it less profitable for the malware industry given its market share.
    Keep your MAC OSX fully up-to-date, use a VPN service to secure your channels while travelling and install a reputable AV. For a list just see here.

And to cite the above report:

4. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I'm also a Windows guy since my first computer many, many years ago. I just bought my first New 27" Mac a little over 3 months ago because of the Windows fiasco. I am a very Happy Camper now. I do run Microsoft Office on the Mac, updates take about 5 to 10 minutes from time of download to install. People say Yes and No about running Antivirus with a Mac. I believe in layered security. I run Webroot for extra Security and Backup, also use Time Machine Backup. Once a week I scan with Malwarebytes for Mac. I was reading This Article a few days ago. It was a hard choice to make but I'm glad I made it. :D

5. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

For out of the box security, the Mac. Yes there is malware for the Mac. There is malware for every computer platform but it is not just market share that limits it, it is the architecture of the OS and the diligence of Apple that keeps it down.

The security of any OS can be enhanced but the necessity is much less with MacOs or Linux.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Since you seems like a skilled user, it all comes down to using it overseas. I would expect Windows to be more compatible with WiFi outside US.

7. Secondmineboy

Secondmineboy Registered Member

If you want to secure your Mac take a look at these tools: https://objective-see.com/products.html

Also use a second user account as standard user and lock it down in the system settings so it can only open certain stuff,etc. :)

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If I had to make this choice, I would probably go with Mac. It should be enough secure by default. Add Vpn to securely connect to net and make backup of your data and you'll be fine.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I hate these choices! LOL

I would choose Linux.

10. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

That's what I'll be turning my 2 Windows computers to if M$ keeps screwing with the Win 7 users.

11. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Thank you for all the recommendations. I have set up a seperate user account that I will use most of the time. I also uninstalled Adobe and checked to confirm that Avast is still a good one. It is. I have CyberGhost 5 to use as a VPN overseas.

I am still planning to check out the tools in the link posted by Secondmineboy.

12. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

VPN doesn't make the connection itself secure, only the informatin traveling through it. Going into an exploited website through VPN or not doesn't really matter.

IMO Windows can be made secure more easily than MacOS, and Free of charge. Add EMET, a good Firewall + HIPS + Sandbox, a nonAdmin account for day-to-day use with UAC at Max and an Admin password, and you're almost set.

13. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Windows user, here.

So many Security options to select...:thumb: :cool:

14. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I don't care for MacOS for the same reasons I don't care for Windows 10: Not enough control by the end user and too much control by the corporation that provides the OS. That being said, I would much rather trust Apple than Microsoft. I live in Mac country and have worked on lots of Macs over the years. I have never seen one infected by Malware, not one. Most of the owners would never be able to handle such things as HIPS or Emet or Sandboxie. Nothing but the out of the box security and configuration to protect them and it was sufficient.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.