Windows OneCare Live: Any reviews ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CrazyD, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyD

CrazyD Guest

I happen to come across this review on Windows Onecare : http://www.shahabjafri.com/2006/01/14/windows-onecare-live-beta-reviewed/

~snip~ Can anyone else post their experience wiht it ? I am thinking about installing it on my laptop.
    I am currently using Zone Alarm security suite and I dont like it. :( The firewall is good but the antivirus I cant understand.

Offensive wording removed-Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  2. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Extremely weak at virus detection and cleaning . Compared to many others anyway . The firewall is as weak , if not weaker than the AV part . And , last I checked , you cannot use most other AV OR firewall solutions along with this EVEN if you disable parts of it . Another M$ way of monopolizing something .

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. eyes-open

As I noted earlier - Anyone here who has actually tested the Beta may be in conflict with their confidentiality agreement if they post their findings - causing the thread to be closed as before.

I don't know - I just mentioned it so that folks could judge how to post without falling foul of this detail.....

That said, what PC Mag says about Windows OnceCare Live is here:-

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1910061,00.asp

5. hollywoodpc

eyes-open
    So you know , most of the testers received the beta by mail . Over a year ago . For those , it can be talked about . So , beta testers can feel free to discuss if they got their copy over a year ago . Would be nice to hear about it but , I tested it . Without going into detail , I shared what I KNOW is wrong . It would be interesting to hear what others have run into:cool:

6. eyes-open

Hi hollywoodpc :)

Are you 100% sure about the timescale - I had thought that testing didn't begin until May 2005 ?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not unduly concerned either way, I'm just receiving conflicting info.

I'm using the following as reference points:-

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/may05/05-13WindowsOneCarePR.mspx

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml?articleId=163101740

This last one is a link to a Wilders search I did for Windows OneCare - nothing appears before May 2005:-

Wilders Windows OneCare Search

Regards - eyes-open

7. hollywoodpc

I am only speaking for myself . Yes . I am sure . I even have my package dated . Also , I never let anything out that is not already known in some circles anyway . And , seeing as how PCMag is not a distributor , how can they give the review without breaking the agreement ? Maybe I should say SOME testers . And please do not make the mistake that this forum holds and hears everything . That said , I assure you that I tested this well before May of last year . Be that as it may , I still will not talk about specifics , other than the compatability issue . Maybe other testers need to be aware of WHEN they began testing .
    One question . Since we could not even talk about it's existence , how did someone bring it up way back when with no problem anyway ? It is funny because M$ made a big deal about it themselves but , NOONE else could even agree that it existed . lol .

P.S. I was a private beta tester . Not a public one . That may be the confusion

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  8. wanker

wanker Guest

He said it took 25 minutes on broadband connection to download.. convert that to hyper slow aol connection and it will take approximently a year to a decade.

9. tayres

tayres Guest

Personally, I wouldn't run it without Microsoft's Anti-Spyware beta and something like Process Guard as a bare minimum.

10. eyes-open

@ hollywoodpc yes - that would explain the discrepancy :) .

@ CrazyD sorry if your threads gone off at a tangent. Obviously the freedom to discuss the software has a bearing on the information you're given.

For my part, based on the little I've read today - I would be surprised if someone recommended this to you at the moment. Leastways on a primary machine.

To balance things out a little I'll leave you with this link:-

Windows OneCare Team Blog

See how it looks from the other side.

Regards eyes-open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.