Windows - No Disk message

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kennyboy, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I have started getting this message when starting the machine. It comes up while the desktop is loading, and is difficult to get rid of. :-

Message :- "Windows - No Disk. There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Hardisk3\DR7"

I have 2 Internal Disks and one External Disk. Windows is on Drive 0.

I have tried restoring to a good image with MBR but the message is still there.

Interesting, it seems as though FDISR is disabled now for some reason. Not sure it is connected. (Have also tried booting to another snapshot but no difference)

The whole machine is acting very strangely also. Sandboxie disabled too.

I have no idea whatever it is can survive an image restore, but would appreciate any help.

Many Thanks.

Ken

2. kennyboy

Update

Have just zeroed the HD with Seagates own software, and re-installed Windows. Then reinstalled a known good image, but still getting the same message, except..FDISR and Sanboxie are now working. What can survive a zeroed disk? No idea what to do next.

Any ideas please?

3. Empath

Empath Registered Member

I was getting that immediately following my upgrade of Shadow Defender. I reverted back to my previous image,with previous Shadow Defender, and it went away.

4. kennyboy

Seems that whatever image I revert back to, I still get the same. Can't think what has triggered it, but I am worried that even zeroing the disk doesn't fix it.
    No idea what direction to go to be honest.
    Thanks for the feedback though.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

6. kennyboy

Thanks for the link Erik. The error message is almost identical, but sadly, I only have an external drive which is configured correctly as F:
    I thought that was very close to being the answer.
    Grateful for your help

7. ErikAlbert

Since all your restores don't fix the problem, even zero HDD, it must be something higher.
    Did you change something recently ? hardware ? software ? CMOS ? Changed Boot Sequence ?
    Everything well connected ? Safe mode - last good configuration ?
    Maybe a malware is causing this, which infected all your images.
    Don't you have a clean image of a fresh installed Windows only without the rest of softwares ?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Ken

Since you have the images, if you have a OS CD, try a format and clean install. You may have a bad drive or cable.

Pete

9. kennyboy

@ Erik Yes, the same thoughts crossed my mind too. Can not think of anything that I have changed at all. Have run malware scanners, and checked all connections.
    I run daily differential backups to an external drive, but it seems that they are all affected.
    I find it just as easy to install fresh windows rather than keep a bare image with Windows on it. I did re-install Windows from scratch after zeroing the disk and then DIDN'T get the message/lockup. I DID get it with EVERY image that I restored on top.
    Such a big job to re-install everything again though. Trying to avoid that if possible.

@ Peter.

Sorry, I forgot to say that after zeroing the disk, I did a Full Format (not quick) and then tried to install a good image. It's a puzzle. Bit concerned that ALL the daily images seem to have this bug, or is there something even "higher" as Erik says that could stay hidden from zeroing, formatting, and Imaging, and still be there after installing ANY image?

Thanks to all.

10. Peter2150

Ken if you have a windows CD, try a clean windows install. If it still shows up then it may be hardware.

Your experience reminds me of what I went thru with a bad KAV beta driver. Everything I restored, every FDISR snapshot/archive was bad. Turned out KAV was automatically downloading a corrupt driver.

11. ErikAlbert

A frightening experience indeed. I also depend on zeroing and restoring clean images, if something bad happens like this. In your case it didn't work and that's what bothering me the most. Installing Windows from scratch fixed it, but that is alot of work.
    I hope it was something like Peter described, something you didn't know about.
    It's still possible that a malware caused this, which was there from the beginning and stored in each image with some kind of time bomb.
    Whatever it was, I hope it won't happen to me. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  12. kennyboy

Well, have done a test re-install of Windows after a full format again.

After numerous re-boots there was no sign of the error.
    I then installed an original full image from quite far back over the top of this basic Windows, and the error appeared again.

Leaves me with no choice but to start from scatch with a new system. I like to learn from these experiences, but....not sure I have learned much from this one.
    Many thanks to all for your support.

Ken

13. Peter2150

Best of luck with it Ken. I've just done that and it's work, but sometimes, you just have to do it.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

So the question will grow more important '' is my system healthy (system/malware wise) at time of imaging. We have talked to death about imaging solutions,but lets not overlook this one. ;)

15. ErikAlbert

That's why I changed my backup procedure, because of this.
    Backing up your actual "possibly infected" system partition is a bad habit, although many users do this all the time.
    Who wants to change his rusted habits ? As good as nobody.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.