Windows Network Location

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by xxJackxx, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Question about Windows 7. The "Windows Network Location" I assume is a function of the firewall, at least somewhat. I could be wrong but from my understanding it is the reason why you can disable the built in firewall but not stop the firewall service. In any case I have noticed that when a 3rd party firewall is installed that when I take my laptop to work I have no network issues. When I have it at home I cant connect to other computers on the network without having to add IP address or MAC address exclusions. Norton and ESET both behave this way. Therefore the only difference I can think of is the Location setting. There is a domain at work but I do not log onto it with the laptop. I am going to try setting my computers at home to "Work Location" and see if that clears it up. Has anyone else had any experience with this? From my understanding the Home location includes access to Homegroups and Work does not. Would this be the issue? I have no use for the Homegroup anyway, I find it to be a very inconsistent experience. Am I on to something, or missing something?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Thanks for the read but I guess my question in its simplest form is where network location is concerned, is there something about the Home setting that is blocking communication vs. the Work setting? I wouldn't think so, but I must wonder if the Homegroup is interfering with communication or credentials even though there isn't one actually set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.