windows media player

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi im just curious if anyone knows why windows media player keeps tyrin to conect to the net im asuming to call home every time i run it see id noticed this behaviour befor but never though much about it till now after reading these posts

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2173

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2098;start=15

and im just wonderin if anyone knows how to stop this behaviour because the only time it should be conectig to the net is when i choose to let it so i can check for updates

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Bethrezen, if you can find a listing for WMP in your firewall, you can restrict it from access from there. (Block it, in other words).

In WMP itself, click on 'Tools' , then 'Options'. On the 'Player' tab, nothing should have a checkmark in front of it - if anything does, UN-check it! As far as 'Check for Updates' goes, put the dot in the 'Once a month' selection. If you change anything, make sure you click 'Apply' before moving to the next tab.

On the 'CD Audio' tab, make sure there is NOT a checkmark in the "Enable Personal Rights Management" box - if there is, UNcheck it. If you change anything, make sure you click 'Apply' before moving to the next tab.

On the 'Media Library' tab, I have 'no access' radio button with the dot in it in BOTH categories. (I can't swear this will work for you, because I don't know how you use the player, but it works for myself and my son here). If you change anything, make sure you click 'Apply' before moving to the next tab.

That's about the best I can do on short notice, my friend. Good luck! Pete

3. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi spy 1

i have done what you sergested and it is no longer tryin to conect to the net every time i start it up

thanks for ya reply

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.