Windows Media Player 9

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by zarzenz, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I have only just started to use the media player.

My firewall is asking me if I want to allow 2 files access.

They are a setup and an exe file that media player wants to allow onto the net.

Are these needed to be allowed. My only use of the media player so far is for copying music from Cd's into my music folder for playing on the PC when I want some music here.

Is there some good reason to allow media player access or should I reject both instances if I don't want to play web based media.

2. Uzur9

Uzur9 Registered Member

Ide have say 'No' - if your just using it for music then it doesnt need net access.

Just my 2 cents

-Uzur9

3. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Right Uzur9!

Hi Zarzenz!

Well it depends, if you just want to listen music from a personnal cd,
    you don't have to connect to internet.

Unless you want Media Player research informations for you about the singer, the picture displayed on the CD and so on.

Which is useless, since we do have those info displayed on the cd.

But, for other reasons, some people like it to make a "cd album datas". Which means, every time you open the file you will see a picture and info about the singer/orchestra/band. You can even print it and made a second cd cover and so on...Stg I don't really like...for "they get too much info on you.

Personnaly I'd connect to the net for listening to radio programs or watching videos only. Otherwise, I'd not connect to the net.

TTFN!

Uguel

4. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Hi Uzur9 and Uguel707,

Thank you both for those swift replies.

I guess that makes a lot of sense and so I'll just block WM9 and simply enjoy my music.

I was wondering what the setup file was doing and was a bit worried if it was needed to make the player complete some install process after firing it up for the first time.

Anyway... I'll just see how I get on with it now with them blocked.

Wow... all those auto listed playlists seem to be a bit over the top... why can't things be nice and simple... anyway... I can always trim them down a bit and just make my own as the mood takes me.

zarzenz :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.