Windows Live Messenger Ports

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by adam777, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam777

adam777 Registered Member

Hello all,
    Hope it's the right forum (move if not :) ).
    I'm using Jetico V1 and stumbled upon an article in Microsoft support site that lists all the ports being used by WLM under Vista/XP.
    I said to myself this could be a great reference for setting a correct table for WLM in Jetico, however, I could not completely understand the article.
    It only states TCP/UDP without stating the "direction".
    As far as i know, in Jetico, TCP is "inbound/outbound connection" and UDP is "send/receive datagrams" (correct me if i'm wrong).
    Anyway, can someone please take a look at this and tell me from their own experience, what does MS means by the listed ports? (I'm referring to the bottom table, i have an XP-based system).
    I guess i should not interpret every entry as a rule in both directions (both in and out).
    Thanks in advance, Adam.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927847

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

As you can see, Windows Live Messenger uses prts ranging from 1-65000 these change everyday or so, so setting a firewall to accept WLM with these ports isnt alwaysa good policy. The best policy for Windows Live Mesenger is to Allow All Activities, this way It'll keep running smoothly. I dont know about Jetico,cause I have never looked at it, but from a personal experience Outpost would refuse Auto Connection to WML on bootup, as it blocked port 1900. Why they did this I have no Idea :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.