Windows Lite

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Giveup, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giveup

Giveup Guest

Anyone tried Windows Xp-lite or 98-lite. I here it speeds things up. But I hestitate to try it if it screws things up.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Never heard of it. Do you have a link?

Close Hauled

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

4. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

You can get IEradicator there too. (I thought of using it, but ended up trashing it - if it is capable of screwing me over, I don't want to find out the hard way.)

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Used 98 lite for several years and it gave my old box a HUGE speed increase. Stability was also greatly improved. Seem to remember I mainly selected the CHUBBY desktop.

Together with PowerQuest's Second Chance ( a sadly departed, much better 'Go-back' System) my Win 98 system was very stable and re-formats became non-existant. Blue Screens of Death were never seen again!!!

I used it both on completely fresh and older installs of Win98. Highly recommended for those still using this OS. It works apparently with WinMe as well.

I never had any problems with using 98lite and in these days of disc-imaging software, potential disasters can be avoided. As long as you take time looking at the trial Preview version and understand what you are doing you should hopefully run into few problems. However, some kind of backup to your system would be a sensible decision before installing 98 lite.

I have not used the latest versions on NT systems.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  6. Donk

Donk Guest

IEradicator is great. But yes, pay heed to its' warning. We run some software on my network that is problematic with versions of IE prior to 6, so I put IEradicator and the IE6.0 install program on a 3.5". It's also not a bad idea to put a copy of ShowDesktop.scf on there as it tends to get knocked out. It warns that it'll wipe out your Favorites folder, but it has yet to do so on the dozens of computers I've run it on. I've used it very sucessfully on several Win98 and 98SE machines, however I did run it on a Win2kSP4 machine without reading the warning. Let's just say, I wouldn't recommend doing that. IE became pretty useless after that, failing to recognize url files of any sort as webpages. I had to do some unregistering and command line kills of processes to get things back to a stable environment. So, to end my tangent.
    IEradicator on Win98* machines++
    -Donk

7. Donk

Donk Guest

Oh, and btw, to get back to the original purpose of the post. After running IEradicator and reinstalling a lean, clean version of IE6 things are much more stable than previous versions/installs. A bit quicker as well. It's a shame I can't put firefox on these work computers, but all of this corporate software requires IE.
    -Donk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.