Windows Installer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Relemar, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

right, I've uninstalled Windows Installer and installed the latest version, but it didnt install and i have no add/remove programs and cannot install.

I've tryed reinstalling in safe mode, rebooting about 9 times and I cannot install it :(

what can i do?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

4. Relemar

Let's try, I thought NICK had deleted my topic. Let me try it ;)

5. Relemar

Ronjor, that doesn't work just tryed it. NICK the first link is totally the wrong thing, and the second one is what I've tryed installing, it says no errors but it doesn't install my Add/Remove programs..

6. NICK ADSL UK

You can try downloading and installing this Microsoft utility to see what program's it has listed as you may find that that your windows installer is in fact installed after all but may have a corrupted entry. If it should be listed then you will be able to uninstall correctly and then try installing once again

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

regards

7. NICK ADSL UK

May i ask how you uninstalled the original widows installer ? The reason being is that the update 3.1 installs over the top of it

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Also go to start, run and type in appwiz.cpl and see if the add/remove window comes up.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Speaking of Window Installer 3.1, my friend has a problem w/ it since microsoft upgraded it from v.3.0. Some of the programs he tried to intall are getting error 2203. Still can not resolve the situation, can you help ?

10. NICK ADSL UK

Hi Perman :)
    Do make sure your friend has his account set as an administrator before he installs any software as some software will not install on a limited account

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Nick: I will relay your remedy. Thanks.

12. NICK ADSL UK

Your welcome :)

13. Relemar

Well you haven't helped yet :(!

I installed the latest version and it said install successful but when i go to start then control panel my add/remove programs aint there and i cant install new software, ive tryed reinstalling several times with no look.

14. Relemar

by that i meant ive updated versions. i just downloaded the latest version and installed that, now i cant install or uninstall.

15. NICK ADSL UK

Well as your add/remove programs is missing from the control panel this may very well mean you will have to do a repair of the OS of which how best to do that can be found here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx
    One last thing to try before repairing your OS. In the control panel in admin tools just click open services and make sure the windows instller in there is listed and if so make sure it is started and set at automatic

Regards

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Have you tried the suggestion in post eight yet?

17. Relemar

i went to services.msc and looked for Windows installer and tryed starting it but it says the file is missing error

also, i have no CD the PC license is not cracked i have my license but not the CD.

i have two CD's called backup and another one restore. but 1 of them makes it go back to when it was from Tiny.

but i upgraded and stuff and it has no Tiny/warehouse components, so thats no good.

damn im doomed.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

19. Relemar

should I reinstall Windows XP SP2?

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You have several options. Pick the one you like. :)

21. Relemar

I was ifnected with a Trojan and NOD32 cleaned it, it took some DLL's and stuff needed by Windows XP to run properly, Windows Update doesn't work, or System restore or my WIndows Installer.

I want to reformat but I have no CD (and i aint buying) I have a license key working and valid.

What are the "options" again.

and thanks for your help.

22. Relemar

all i want is Windows XP installing from scratch and my Hard Drive. BUT I HAVE NO WINDOWS XP CD lol ;)

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. Relemar

i have no viruses, malware or spyware. my pc runs fast as anything, I just want my Windows XP to have all the functions and stuff working, but that's not the case.

I have NOD32 and CounterSpy with no problems about Malware. I'm good with malware!

I had a Trojan muck up my Windows and everything, if i go to run and type msconfig and it comes up with windows cannot locate this file, but i don't need that.

just want all the functions and stuff to work good. i need an ISO image of XP from somewhere

25. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.