Windows installer keeps trying to install when i log on to my name on windows xp WHY?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

why is this happenening? All i did was log on and this thing popped up so i cancelled it. Every time i log on it comes on. help!!!!!!

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi Cheater
    Windows installer runs as part of Microsoft Windows updates, maybe if you allow it to run once it won't pop up again.

3. willcorwin

willcorwin Registered Member

I had this problem once is it trying to install something that is attached with usb cable mine was printer hp all in one. if so go in and uninstall the drivers for your usb ports log out log back in let winxp reload the drivers then check for updates for the devise your using hp has new up dates for the all in one drivers just go to hp.com search for your devise. There should be no problem with uninstalling the drivers for your usb port as windows xp comes with drivers for them. This is What i did when I couldn't the windows installer from coming up it got so bad that every time i opened a file it would come up. I hope this helps

4. cheater87

Re: Windows installer keeps trying to install when i log on to my name on windows xp

it has to do with norton anti virus 2005. idk what it just pops up and says norton can't do something and i have to reinstall it then i just click out.

5. willcorwin

Re: Windows installer keeps trying to install when i log on to my name on windows xp

do you have other antivirus programs sometimes the will interfear with one another but for the record i have norton virus 05 and ive never had a problem so i cant help wish i could. you could try logging off the internet turning all protection off for ex. firewalls antivirus spyware zonealarm try reinstall on norton and see if that works. I would run this by one of the people here at wilder but it shouldnt hurt as long as your off line. and sorry once agin for not being ant help i now it can be frustrating

6. cheater87

nope norton is the only one i have

7. willcorwin

HEY cheater i found this at norton web sit it might help it might not.

from here on this is not my origanal work property of norton or symantic corp.

http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer...ed to restart your computer.&resultType=5000#

Your Norton program does not finish installing after restarting your computer

Situation:
    You install one of the following Norton programs:
    -Norton AntiVirus 2004, 2005, 2006
    -Norton Internet Security 2004, 2005, 2006
    -Norton Personal Firewall 2004, 2005, 2006
    -Norton SystemWorks 2004, 2005, 2006
    -Norton AntiSpam 2004, 2005

While you install your Norton program, you are prompted to restart your computer. When you restart the computer, either:

-- No additional installation or information boxes appear
    or
    -- The information wizard does appear, but when you click Next, nothing happens.

Solution:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Before you begin: If you see a window that says "Gathering Information" after clicking Next but nothing else happens, then read Activation does not finish after you provide the product key instead of this page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This problem has different causes, each with a different solution. Begin with Section 1.

Section 1: Run the Symantec Automated Support AssistantThe Symantec Automated Support Assistant finds many problems and then directs you to one of the following resources:
    A technical document
    A file to download
    A virus removal utility

To run the Symantec Automated Support Assistant

Close all programs, except for your Web browser.
    Run the Automated Support Assistant, and follow its instructions.

To test program installation
    Install your Symantec program again.
    If you successfully installed the program, then you are finished with this document.
    If you could not install the program, then go on to Section 2.

Section 2: Create a new user account with administrative privileges
    This problem can happen when your Windows account is changed. Follow these instructions to create a new user account, add the administrator's group to the user account, and then restart the computer.

To create a new user account and reinstall Norton AntiVirus
    Restart the computer, and then log on as Administrator.
    Do one of the following, depending on your version of Windows:
    Windows XP: Click Start > Control Panel and double-click User Accounts.
    Windows 2000: Click Start > Settings > Control Panel and double-click Users and Passwords.
    Click Add.
    Follow the steps in the "Add new user wizard" to create a new user account. When you are asked "What level of access do you want to grant this user?" click Other. Then select Administrators from the drop-down menu, and click Finish.
    Restart the computer, and log on as the new user.
    The Norton program window should appear after a few seconds. Do one of the following:
    When the Norton program appears, follow the prompts to complete the installation.
    If the Norton program window does not appear, then reinstall the program.

To test program installation
    Install your Symantec program again.
    If you successfully installed the program, then you are finished with this document.
    If you could not install the program, then go on to Section 3.

Section 3: Run the Symantec Online Virus Scan
    This problem can happen when your computer is infected with a virus. Run the Symantec Online Virus Scan to make sure that your computer is not infected.

To scan for viruses using the Symantec Online Virus Scan
    Run the Symantec Online Virus Scan.
    Under virus detection, click Start.
    When the scan completes:
    If a virus is found, follow the prompts and use the repair tool provided.
    If no virus is found, you are asked if you want to scan for all threats. You will see a link to the Symantec Security Check Web site. Run the full scan.
    Go to Section 4.

Section 4: Reinstall the Microsoft Windows Script 5.6
    This problem can happen when your computer uses an older or damaged version of the Microsoft Windows Scripting Host. Reinstall the Microsoft Windows Script Host to update or repair these files.

To reinstall Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 in Windows XP/2000
    Go to the Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 Web page.
    Under Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP, click Download.
    Click Open or Run this program from its current location.
    At the next prompt, click Yes.
    At the license agreement, click Yes.
    In the "Windows Script 5.6 is now installed!" dialog box, click OK.
    Close all running programs, and restart the computer when asked to do so.
    In the Norton program Information Wizard, follow the prompts to complete the installation.

8. cheater87

it was installed over 4 months ago idk why its doing it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.