Windows Installer Baseline Cache: safe delete it ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blacknight, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Well, on the Web many MS and not MS threads and forums say that is not safe to delete it. But Wise Care and TuneUP say YES. So, someone deleted it in Seven ? What's happened in the middle time ?

2. er34

er34 Guest

Not 100% sure but I think that if you delete it you may later have problems uninstalling or modifying some applications you have on your PC that rely on this. It is not that much so you'd better keep it.

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

The only imaginable and justified reason for deleting things like this (which don't pose any possible privacy risks) is if you need more free space in your drive (and that scenario of needing more drive free space is assumed by the programs you mentioned - Wise Care and TuneUP - that's why they tell you it's safe to delete it!).

If you have enough drive free space for your real computing needs, avoid the temptation/compulsion of cleaning things like this. Remember, the tools you mentioned assume that you need more drive free space (why? Because you ran them in the first place, lol), and so, if that premise is incorrect, their advises may not be accurate.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

It's not recommended because the baseline cache facilitates un-installation process (for those using Windows Installer service). However, if you need the space, it is "safe" to delete provided you have the original installers.

More explanation by an MS employee (Heath Stewart)....

Source: Why Windows Installer May Require so much Disk Space

Source: The Patch Cache and Freeing Space

5. blacknight

In fact: this is what internet says about. My question is if someone deleted it, and if he had any issue.

6. blacknight

Ya, I know it, is the same reason that I have for.

No compulsion and not irrazionality. The reason is that I regularly make disk images, and I would want to have someone less than 4,7, to create them on DVD and not only on my external hd. But in Seven Winsxs folder increase ever. I deleted Software Distribution folder already in XP safe.

7. blacknight

I deleted Windows Installer Baseline Cache and then I uninstalled many programs, CIS included: no problems. I don't now for future uninstallations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.