Windows homegroup desperate user

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by apomet, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apomet

apomet Registered Member

Hello,
    I have created a windows 7 homegroup with a desktop and laptop computers.The network works fine but when I install ESET Internet security 5.0 it does not work any more.When I disable the firewall it works again with no problems.I am a beginner at networks.I have searched the forum and hve tried several options but with no result.Is there a step by step guide to make it work or I will have to abandon ESET and move to another program?
    Please help me, someone.
    Thank you
    Apo

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

try turning the firewall to learning mode (you will not have to enter any info this way it will do it for you you will just see the pop up showing the connection). then try to connect and see if you get the pop ups and if it connects. if it does then try changing it back to auto if thats what you use and try again. i had this issue and this fixed it for me i use the firewall myself on interactive but on the wife and daughters its set to auto since they cant stand the pop ups. but i do wish they would improve the firewall and they way you can use it i would love a simple manual mode similar to norton or avast in the future versions.

if that doesnt work set it to interactive mode and when you see the pop ups for the connection allow it or you can create a manual rule for it as well. but setting to learning worked for me. we can always help if you need to make a rule.

3. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

@ OP, is IPv6 running, yes or no?

4. apomet

apomet Registered Member

In ESET firewall in Learning mode the system does not even see the homegroup and I cannot join.If I turn off temporarily the firewall and I join and then turn to learning mode, the homegroup just stops working and I do not see any notification from the firewall.I have tried all these nothing works.

How can I see if IPv6 is running?

5. zfactor

many tests you can try or you can run ipconfig from a command window and post results. changing the firewall worked for me on 2 different systems so not sure. one question after you installed ess upon the first connection when it asks if its a trusted network what did you answer? just curious. you can also try to reset your firewall settings by doing the following:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN941&ref=wsf

see here for some ipv6 tests you can run:

http://www.google.com/search?q=chec....,cf.osb&fp=337d5922ed4f0202&biw=1680&bih=931

6. apomet

apomet Registered Member

No IPv6 address detected.All IPv6 test have failed.
    Is this the problem?

7. zfactor

no shouldnt be. i think they were asking if you were using it to see if it was causing the issue. i dont have ipv6 on a few systems and ess works fine with homegroup. if you are willing try to reset the firewall setting by following the kb i posted and see what the results are. hopefully someone from eset can chime in but i know my issues came from the firewall itself i just had to set it up right then it worked fine. rule out the simple things first imo.

if you reset the firewall make sure to answer that its a trusted network when your computer restarts in the pop up.

8. Temp Member

Homegroups do not work without IPv6 running, plain and simple!

9. zfactor

hmm .... works fine here though i did not disable ipv6 i do not use ipv6. did you do that? otherwise you should be fine. you dont have to be usig it since i know im not and homegroup works just fine but as i said i did not disable it totally. if you disabled it for some reason:

3. Modify IPv6 registry key to enable IPV6
    ==========================
    a. Click Start, type regedit in Search Bar, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters

c. Check whether the "DisabledComponents" registry key exists. If so, let's move on the next steps.
    d. Double click the "DisabledComponents" registry key and modify the value to 0.

(If the key doesn't exist, please create the key above and assign the value 0)

e. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Attached Files:

• ipv6.PNG
      ipv6.PNG
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you encounter a problem with HomeGroup, make sure that the following conditions are fulfilled:
    - services allowed in the Trusted zone: UPnP, IGMP, WDS, LLMNR
    - HomeGroup support enabled in the IDS setup
    - IPv6 addresses of the computers are in the Trusted zone

11. Temp Member

Most of us do not use IPv6 for internet as ISP are lazy and have not crossed over but it is used by Homegroups!.

Normally says Limited for its connection!

12. falisty

falisty Registered Member

Hi

I had the same problem. I've noticed that Homegroup is using SVCHOST.EXE. so this is my solution: (im translating from polish so forgive me:) )

On all computers with ESS5:
    0. leave all homegroups on your computers
    1. ESS advanced settings->Rules and Zones
    2. Settings in "Rules and zones editor" field
    3. Rules tap
    4. Host processes for Windows system services
    5.Right click on " block outgoing demands of Web Services Discovery (WSD events) for svchost.exe " (or something similar) and choose DISABLE or TURN OFF
    6. set you firewall in "AUTOMATIC WITH EXCEPTIONS" mode
    7. Create new homegroup on one of you computer and set join on the other

p it works on my computer and laptop so let me know does it work on your machines :]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.