Windows Home Server 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PaulyDefran, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Is *anyone* running anything on their WHS 2011 Box? Right now I have the built in Windows Defender running. I'm looking to run better software. There is only one *certified* product out there from GData for $100. There are others that have hacked Microsoft Fore Point Security (or whatever it is called) and are using that. That doesn't appeal to me. What I did last night is say "F it, let's see what runs" (x64 based on Server 2008 R2). So I first installed Malwarebytes. No problems what so ever. Scanned and works fine. Next I tried Hitman Pro. Another success, no problems. Then I tried Imunet 3. That also worked fine, but I did not like it, so I uninstalled...that also went well.

So, now I'm thinking that as long as you aren't looking for Dashboard integration eye candy (I'm not, I have a monitor and keyboard attached and am logged in...I use it for a security camera setup as well) that anything that supports 64 bit should work.

But I want to stick with Comodo or Emsisoft products or another big name, good performance program. Has *anyone* tried any of the big name stuff on WHS 2011?

Thanks,

PD

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,

eset home versions offically support windows home server see here

3. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I've used Avast free for the previous version without any issues. Since WHS is based off of Windows smb any Windows server certified av "should" work. :doubt:

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Thanks. Yeah, there *are* server versions...but they cost a ton. I was looking for free or low cost. I settled on this:

I use it for an email server, a security camera server, and a few other things, so it is logged in and running a monitor and keyboard (to interact and see the security cameras).

The account is an Admin one (I know...) but I enabled DEP system wide, and set UAC to the default level (one down from max). I then installed EMET and have all the internet facing apps in EMET with everything but EAF enabled (EAF caused fits with my email server).

I then installed Forefront Client Security from Technet. It disabled and replaced Defender, and the updates came down from Windows update. It does a quick scan every hour (checks for updates first) and does a full scan once a day.

I also have Malwarebytes (works fine) in free mode, Hitman Pro (works fine), and Comodo Cloud Scanner.

Comodo Cleaning Essentials works fine, as does Emisisoft's Emergency Kit (Anti-Malware).

So I think I'm good.

Thanks,

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.