Windows Genuine Advantage Tool

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zarzenz, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I'm just wondering if I should allow this outbound in my firewall. I recently reset all my ESS permissions due to installing the new V4.424 build.

Since then I keep being asked to allow this out. I always had it set to allow before but now after doing some research it seems to be classed by some as a form of spyware and actually does nothing to enhance security on a system other than to confirm the OS is legit.

Mine is, and I have always allowed this out in the past but there seems to be some opinions that this tool should never have been installed under the guise of a vital security patch as it was only ever intended to check the validity of the OS.

I would therefore be interested if anyone has set it to not allow permanently or even actually removed the tool completely or would this be considered "not the thing to do" even though it does seem to raise questions about Microsoft keeping tabs on a perfectly valid system at every boot up.

2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

If you want to keep your windows version fully patched then you'll need the WGA to be able to validate your installation....otherwise no MS updates.

regards stackz

3. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Hi stackz,

Really... wow... didn't know that.

In that case there can't be too much more to say on this.

Thanks for that important piece of info there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.