Windows gaming on Linux with Crossover

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by moontan, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i installed Condor (a flight sim) using Crossover.
    it installed fine but the framerate was dreadful.

Wine and Crossover might be good for some Windows games, but it's certainly no replacement for gaming on Windows.:thumbd:

there goes in smoke my hope of using Linux as my only OS.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Steam can now be played on Linux.

The main barrier to the spread of Linux has been the lack of availability of good games to play on it but now it appears to be changing.

3. moontan

2 of the 3 games play i have perfectly fine on Linux.
    in fact, they both have Linux installers. :thumb:

i'll just keep bloody Windows around just to play that flight sim.

i might even re-install XP if thet's the only thing i'm gonna be using Windows for.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I hope Steam does well on Linux and that it opens the door to Linux becoming more mainstream. A switch would save me about $500 a year but it just can't be done yet. When I can game on it (looking promising with Steam) and I can find replacements for ALL of my software (I don't think that is too far off) then I will be switching. Until then a virtual machine will have to do. I was surprised to find that Steam actually works on Linux in a virtual machine.

5. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Crossover isn't really intended for gaming. According to the Wine homepage Condor should work pretty well with the latest Wine version:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10399

You can find instructions on how to install it properly there as well as it requires a few native DirectX libraries to be installed.

There also used to be a special Wine fork that was designed for gaming called WineX/Cedega from TransGaming. No idea if it is still available (I haven't used Linux as a Desktop OS in years) but if it is you may give that one a try as well.

6. moontan

tnx Fabian. :)
    good news indeed!

i will be replacing this old computausor in the next couple of weeks and will come back to your post for reference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.