Windows Firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by rayg, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayg

rayg Registered Member

I just noticed that the windows firewall is left on when you install ESS should it be turned off when ESS is installed?

Should ESS turn it off automatically when it installs?

If so you have to do this manually via group security (gpedit.msc)

Vista Ultimate and latest ESS

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

During the beta period this was reported as a bug but AFAIK it has been fixed . Generally the installer does disable Windows Firewall during ESS installation . If somehow this didn't happen (may be UAC has something to do here) , manually disable it (OFF) . Not necessary to touch the group policy if you are home user

3. rayg

rayg Registered Member

I am using Vista Ultimate and installed the ESS software using an Admin enabled account and the firewall was NOT turned off.

If you try to do that via the network/properties/turn windows firewall on/off the dialogue that pops up says at the top "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy" using gpedit.msc is thefroe the ONLY way to adjust the settings.

Nothing to do with UAC

4. ToddFibertek

ToddFibertek Registered Member

i found that to do the install at all, that i had to turn off the Windows Firewall. i haven't tried reactivating it since, two firewalls on one machine might cause more trouble that it is worth. If your network is behind a firewall, the ESS firewall should be enough.

But then again, i'm a n00b here and with this system.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I guess this is a small bug in the install process . Please , report it to ESET via the internal form (Help->Contact Customer care)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.