Windows Firewall & Vipre

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by elvis1959, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvis1959

elvis1959 Registered Member

If I ran Vipre, would the Windows firewall (in XP and in Vista) be sufficient protection, or would I still need to use a third party firewall? I am running Vista x64 on one of my laptops, and there does not seem to be a good selection of third party firewalls compatible with Vista x64. I do have a Linksys router at my home network. Are there any special settings in the router to ensure that there is a hardware firewall?

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Outpost and Comodo Internet Security run on Vista 64x.

If you use the Comodo Security Suite, when you install it you will get to a screen that will allow you to select to only install the firewall.

3. risl

risl Registered Member

Well, the Windows Firewall does exactly what it's designed to do. Inbound protection ..and some outbound protection in vista.

.. so the question would be, do you need outbound "protection"?

I was thinking about this some time ago and tried several software firewalls and came to the conclusion that I should use windows firewall and focus on where the real problem is: malware installing in the first place. I'll try to prevent that with a HIPS rather than trying to keep already installed malware in and not connecting out.

No problems this far.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Windows firewall should be sufficent.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

windows firewall works for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.