Windows firewall misconception

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pandlouk, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

One of the biggest misconceptions about windows firewall is that most think that its outbound protection is turned off by default.

This is not true, windows outbound protection is always on, it is simple in "default allow mode" and since it does not have any block rules allows everything out.

If you want to only block some specific applications to connect in internet simple create block rules for them and windows firewall will restrict them according to you rules.

ps.Example of how I personally use it:
    I take advantage of the zones.
    -Public zone is set in default block outbound with some specific allow rules enabled only to the public zone. (For when I am connecting in public Wi-Fi’s).
    -Private zone is set in default allow outbound mode with some specific block rules enabled only to the private zone. (For when I am connecting in home and trusted networks).
    -And of course some non program but protocol specific block rules are enabled in all zones.

Panagiotis

2. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Which version of the Windows Firewall are you talking about?
    I'm on XP Pro SP3.
    Does it apply?

3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

He's referring to the Vista/Windows 7 firewall.

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

@pandlouk :
    Although you are absolutely right I had no idea about the existance of such misconception. I thought it was simple, clear and known :
    - Windows XP only inbound protection
    - Windows Vista/7 inbound and outbound protection.

5. pandlouk

I thought so too, but there are so many articles/forum threads/blogs in internet about how to enable "Windows Firewall Outbound Protection".

A friend of mine for blocking a handfull of applications spend 3 hours reconfiguring the firewall when he could have done it in 2-3 minutes.:p

Panagiotis

6. pandlouk

As Espresso said I am reffering to Vista/2008/7 firewalls.

XP firewall offers no means to block outbound connections.

Panagiotis

7. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Good news :D :doubt:

8. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

What is the value of using semantics as in "outbound protection is always on" if this means a "default allow everything out unless you create outbound rules specifically yourself" mode.

It's as usefull as having a "door is locked" sign on a door lock where it really means; "Well, actually it's open and only locked if you insert and turn the key now".

A normal "outbound protection is on" default mode would mean "block all outbound except where outbound rules have been made".

The mere fact that such an implementation would freak out the majority of Windows users doesn't mean it's ok to make up one's own semantics.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  9. pandlouk

It means that the outbound protection/layer/module (or whatever feats you best) of the firewall is activated and is not inactive/disabled.

Actually it is as usefull as having a "this door has a lock" where it really means; "It's up to you to how to use the key and how much you want to fortify it".

Actually you are wrong. The first generation (packet filters) firewalls where the exact opposite. "Block only the bad connections and allow everything else".
    Normal for those was the opposite. And since the majority of the windows users have the default firewall configuration this is the normal (more common) configuration in the windows world.

Because it freaks you, it does not mean that it will freak out the majority of the windows users; and if you do not like the expression I used you can simple ignore it. ;) :)

Panagiotis

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Panagiotis:

Thanks for your interesting post.

Is there any chance you could post some images of your rules for the 3 classifications you mentioned?

You could consider a learning thread for Windows 7 Firewall the value would be huge!

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

12. pandlouk

You are welcome Escalader.

Actually is nothing that special. Since you are an Outpost user just transfer Outposts block rules "Network rules", "Low level" and "Attack Detection" in the windows firewall.

And when you are connecting in a very hostile network, change the incoming policy to "block all incoming", disable the "unicast response" and maybe combine it with the open source ARP-AntiSpoofer.

As JRViejo wrote, Stems tuttorial applies here too and remaking it adds no value. Just pay attention at the profiles domain/private/public boxes when making the specific rules.

Panagiotis

13. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Just to clear this up, I didn't mean your way of describing a default.
    I meant Microsoft's choice in words.

And you're right about old school packet filters firewalls.
    The didn't come with a sort of Defense+ paranoid block everything mode/default/setting/whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.