Windows firewall/internet connection sharing

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by steve161, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi fellow members:

Just a quick question. if I am not using the built in firewall on my home XP SP2, and am not networked with any other comp, is there any problem with disabling this service? Thank you for your anticipated courtesy in this matter (sorry about that last line, but I been writing business letters all morning).

Benny.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Benny,

On my own setups I have never had any problems after disabling the windows firewall/ICS service (or ALG service). I have not had these enabled for many years.

Is there some particular reason you want to disable this service? or is it just a case of disabling un-used windows services?

4. steve161

Hi TopperID and Stem:

Thank you for your replies. Stem, I'm just trying to trim down the running services on my box. I'm behind a router/firewall and am using DSA so I felt that it was an unecessary service. I was just wondering if there was any security consequences if I disabled that service. So far, so good. Thank you for the links ToperID.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Benny,

Yes, understand.
    I was at one point going to make a thread on the needs of certain windows services, but, there are sites that can give this info, as with the link given by "TopperID".

Another site you may like to check out , link given is for windows services, but other info available there

6. steve161

Thank you Stem.

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Your welcome Benny,

I know such as windows services may not be (as such) directly related to "firewalls", but some services, that do use internet, for me are. As for example "RemoteRegistry", does a user want this? or even know about this?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.