Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

The message says that "UAC elevation was cancelled by the user. Installation aborted." To be able to continue the installation you must allow the installer to elevate itself by choosing this in the UAC dialog prompt. If you choose No, then the installer can not continue and displays the message that you have received.

2. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I have UAC disabled, and do not want it enabledo_O
    I tried running as admin but it didn't help

3. artoor

artoor Registered Member

I keep on getting the same warning no matter if I have UAC enabled or disabled. Any solution for this?

Windows 7 x32 here.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  4. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

@alexandrud This installation error has been reported so far only on Windows 7 and 8.1 -32 bit OS albiet on a warez forum.

5. GerryM

GerryM Registered Member

I have reported the same problem and I am on windows 8.1 32 bit. I tried it on my windows 7 64 bit computer and it works fine. I had installed the previous version on my 8.1 computer and the error started when I tried to update it. If I could download the previous version I could see if that still installs okay. I'll try to find that and let you know.

6. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

It seems to be a problem on x86 operating systems. I am working on a fix and I will upload a fixed version soon.

7. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Windows Firewall Control v.4.1.5.0

Please accept my apologies for the broken installer for version 4.1.4.0. The new installer was set by default to work only on x64 platforms. It is now fixed and it works. Thank you for your quick feedback.

What's new:
    - Fixed: The new installer does not work on x86 operating systems.

Installation notes: Just use the new installer to update to this new version.

Download location: http://binisoft.org/download/wfc4setup.exe
    SHA1: 70029b60c2c33c925588e21a35136b9004051af5

Have a great weekend,
    Alexandru

8. GerryM

GerryM Registered Member

Thank you. Works perfectly. Great program that I have been using for years.

9. artoor

artoor Registered Member

No need to apologize. Now it works perfectly. Wish you all great weekend! Thank you!

10. fs2com

fs2com Registered Member

Hi Alex,

Thank you for WFC...
    Just a quick question how can I use range for IP Address in your program?

i.e : for Chrome update I wanna set IP to 111.95.240.20-37 instead 111.95.240.20,111.95.240.26,111.95.240.27,111.95.240.37

11. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Not sure how to do it in WFC, just tried 1.2.3.4-1.2.3.9 and it stayed on red colour...
    I am sure there is a way, but for now rest assured it can be done in WFwAS.

12. Hi, I'm new here, please be gentle with me first time!

I overcame one problem, but now have second problem. Win 7 Pro x86. Migrated from Private Firewall to WFC4. Completely uninstalled Private Firewall before installing WFC. First problem I had installing WFC was because Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro (MBAM) would cause an error:

"Could not subscribe to Windows Firewall Control Service! Exception: Service not available"

On a hunch I disabled MBAM permanently, then WFC installed correctly, opened WFC, browsed rules list and main window. Appeared to be working. I did a computer restart, WFC then reported an error:

"Can't connect to Windows Firewall Control Service"

...and internet was blocked, couldn't access internet for any program. MBAM not running. No other security programs installed on my pc. Only way to get internet working again was uninstall WFC, now I am just using Windows Firewall until I can get WFC working.

Is there a known fix so I can install and service will run?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
  13. Pheckphul

Pheckphul Registered Member

Hello. New to WFC. I have a suggestion: For the installer, could you please separate the options for installing into Start Menu and Desktop?

14. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Without empty spaces - 111.95.240.20-111.95.240.37
    To define more IP ranges - 111.95.240.20-111.95.240.37,111.95.240.50-111.95.240.99
    1.2.3.4-1.2.3.9 works but without empty spaces. 1.2.3.4 - 1.2.3.9 is not valid. Check the tooltip which says which is the validation error.
    Yes, this can be done in the future. I will think about it. Until then, just delete the extra shortcut.

15. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

1. Which version did you try ? 4.1.5.0 ?
    2. When the installation is done the program icon appears in system tray area ? Which color it has ?
    3. Did you disable any Windows services ? Are Windows Firewall and Windows Firewall Control up and running ?
    4. Which profile did you set in WFC when you say that after restart you couldn't connect anymore ? WFC does not block anything, so the connectivity problems have a different cause.
    5. Did you enable Secure boot feature ?

16. Yes, version 4.1.5.0.

The one time that it successfully installed the icon appeared in the system tray, the colour was black. I could open the interface and change settings, but when I restarted the computer, the tray icon had ' ! ' and said "Can't connect to Windows Firewall Control Service" and nothing could access the internet, so I uninstalled WFC.

After restarting pc and receiving the ' ! ' "Can't connect to Windows Firewall Control Service" error I went into SERVICES.MSC to check services. WINDOWS FIREWALL and WINDOWS FIREWALL CONTROL services were both running, and both set to AUTOMATIC start up. I did not disable either of these two services, but I will check their dependancies.

I cannot recall which setting WFC was on, nor whether Secure boot feature was enabled (do you mean within WFC interface?).

I am actually going to restore Win 7 to before I removed Private Firewall, and then uninstall it, and attempt to install WFC. I will let you know what happens and how far I get.

Thanks for responding so quickly :) I'm hoping to pay for and use WFC so fingers crossed..

17. Hi alexandrud, I am still unable to install WFC 4.1.5.0. The installation reports:

21/09/2014 10:15:24 PM - Starting the installation....
    21/09/2014 10:15:28 PM - Uninstalling Windows Firewall Control service....
    21/09/2014 10:15:28 PM - Configuring Windows Firewall service....
    21/09/2014 10:15:28 PM - Creating the program folder....
    21/09/2014 10:15:28 PM - Expanding files....
    21/09/2014 10:15:28 PM - Installing Windows Firewall Control service....
    21/09/2014 10:15:55 PM - Could not subscribe to Windows Firewall Control service!
    Exception: Service not available

4. On that one occasion I installed WFC and was able to open the main interface I saw the profile was set to MEDIUM FILTERING. After the reboot on that occasion I received the ' ! ' error and uninstalled WFC. Since then the program won't install.

5. I did not notice this feature listed when I saw the interface, I don't know where it is located.

I restored Win 7 to an earlier date where Private Firewall was still installed, then uninstalled PF entirely including registry entries and folders. Theoretically I should have been able to at least install WFC (as I did once successfully install it but then encountered the second error), but the above installation report shows I can't install WFC at all yet.

Any ideas? Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
  18. fs2com

fs2com Registered Member

Thanks alex for the pointer. Keep up the good work :)

19. John in Mtl

John in Mtl Registered Member

Hi Alexandrud,

Thank you for writing this piece of software, something M$ missed when they built windows7. I've registered the app, it was worth it and I absolutely needed the notifications! I also wanted to support your effort :)

I wanted to suggest an enhancement to the notification popup. I could not find a way to insert a picture I made to illustrate the change (I've no longer a web service to host a pic either!) so I'll attempt to describe it: If you've seen ZoneAlarm before, you know the alert popup can allow or deny either temporarily or permanently, an application requesting a conenction. You made a similar feature by allowing an app to be denied, allowed or denied/allowed for X amount of time; or "Block for now and ask me later" (bottom button). Allowing an app for a certain amount of time is OK but I find it kind of cumbersome as I have to regularly reply to the popup notification while I'm using the application that conencts if I need more time but don't want to allow a permanent connection for that app.

Would it therefore be possible to add the option to "Only allow until the app is closed"? In other words, the reverse of the "Block for now and ask me later" feature. It could be added next to the existing bottom button which would obviously need to be reduced in size. Forgive me if this feature has been asked already in the thread; 44 pages is sort of long to read!

Again, thank you for making WFC

Regards,

John.

20. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

44 pages on this thread... another 60 or so on the original thread before this one was started... lmao

21. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Read here my answer regarding this:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-firewall-control-4.347370/page-16#post-2299399

22. fs2com

fs2com Registered Member

Hi alex, some of the rule which I think wfc get from the windows firewall can't be deleted...
    In my case is sopcast... the program already uninstalled but the rule is left behind.

And did you still actively managed the USB Flash Drives Control?
    Because I wanna report a bug for that program. Thanks

23. iammike

iammike Registered Member

@fs2com

Try running Windows Advanced Firewall with Advanced Security (C:\Windows\System32\wf.msc) as Administrator and try to delete that rule from there.

24. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

It can't be deleted ? You select it and after pressing the Delete button, nothing happens ? Only with this rule or with any rule ?
    Regarding USB Flash Drives Control, send me on private message the bug. I am working on an update for that program too.

25. fs2com

fs2com Registered Member

Wow... thanks mike, that do the trick :)

Yes alex... I got 4 rule from the Window Firewall that I manually add before installing your program
    [img=http://s3.postimg.org/dpyavlw4v/wfc_cantdelrule.jpg]
    when I delete the first one, it disappear... then I highlight the other 3 and delete... and bam... all 4 is back again on the list.
    then after that if I delete again it just flick for a sec and the list stay on.
    But I can finally delete those rules using mike method above :)

Okay I will PM you for the USB Flash Drive Control bug :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.