Windows Explorer Replacement

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LoneWolf, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Any recommendations on a replacement for Windows Explorer such as xplorer² or something similar?
    xplorer² will be on sale at BitsDuJour soon and I was wondering if anyone here uses this or another one.
    Seems like a handy app to have.

2. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I don't know if it's within your "taste", but I've keeping an eye on Better Explorer, which resembles Windows 8 Explorer with its ribbon UI.

You can find it at Codeplex.com, I think.

4. LoneWolf

Thanks, haven't tried this one yet, 85 bucks it should be the king, a little more then I was wanting to spend, but I'll defiantly give it a spin.

Thanks for the suggestion but I should have mentioned this will be for an Xp system, Better Explorer will not work here.

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

best ones i've tried on Windows are XYplorer and DOpus.

i have paid licenses for both actually.

6. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Nothing lesser than the king of file managers.

Directory Opus

Another couple of good FREE tabbed file managers:
    Explorer++
    CubicExplorer

I still don't know why Windows doesn't have a tabbed file manager built-in.
    Once you use a tabbed file manager, you never go back. I usually have 6 or more tabs open at any one time.

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Free Commander
    -http://www.freecommander.com/index.htm
    I'm using it about 6-7 years with only satisfaction :)

8. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I spent a lot of time a number of years ago testing various Explorer replacements and the best I found, by far, was xyplorer. I strongly recommend you give it a try.

9. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You want Windows Explorer to have tabs. Your wish is my command. Here is a free utility which makes Windows Explorer a tabbed file manager. Even it makes tabs for every program you own.

http://windowtabs.com/

Best regards,

10. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I can live with windows explorer in WIN 7, but one feature really annoys me - the file search capability. Programs such as xyexplorer or explorer++ - do they have file search capabilities?

I'm not looking for anything terribly sophisticated - just the ability to do a wild card search and specific some basic parameters (location, date created etc.)

11. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Well Freecommander does that and so does Totalcommander . I am sure XY and explorer++ has fancy search capabilities, but if you want something really fast and simple searches for files on your computer try Locate32 I do all my searches in Locate.

Totalcommander is my choice since 1997 and it is still developed (one time fee). Both Freecommander and Totalcommander are quite easy to work with, but can be advanced if you want them to.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Total Commander (TC) is my favorite as well. I used Norton Commander (DOS) and when Windows became the dominant OS I really missed the dual pane, keyboard driven UI until TC. You can use helper apps with TC, such as IRFanView. They also recently released a 64 bit version.

13. layman

layman Registered Member

For XP, take a look at FreeCommander and a43. a43 is relatively unknown, but it's quite good, really. Elegant in its simplicity. Includes a sort of launch bar capability. Decent search and integrated compression, too. Portable.

14. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

15. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Yes, not only does XYplorer have a very good search tool, it also has a file preview tool. So if you are searching text or image files you can get a thumbnail of the file that you can left click and hold on and you would get a full sized pop-up of the contents. Let go of the left mouse and the pop-up disappears. You can also highlight specific folders as well as create a list of favourite folders and much more. When I first began looking for a Windows Explorer replacement I only knew WE so all the other programs were a mystery. I found XY to be quite easy to learn with an excellent help file for those things which I just did not get how to do.

Like I said, give it a try, it might be just what you are looking for.

16. LoneWolf

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments on this, and a testing I will go. :D

17. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I've tried quite a few but most just annoyed me since the only things I need from a Windows Explorer replacement are

1) Tabs
    2) Replace Explorer for all folders
    3) Explorer right-click menu entries.
    4) Libraries support
    5) Lightweight footprint
    6) Nothing fancy that I won't use.

That's the reason why I like Explorer++. It does just that. However, it was last updated on 12/11/2011. Wish it gets updated. Otherwise, I'd recommend this in a heartbeat to anyone who has the same needs as I do.

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I use Qdir primarily. If I just need to navigate somewhere and close the explorer I use windows explorer. For all other uses I use Qdir. I am always finding some new feature that helps me stay organized and speeds common tasks up.

Sul.

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Just out of interest, why would one want to sue a diff. explorer than the well known Explorer built into Windows that we're all used to?

What are the benefits? I don't get it

21. moontan

moontan Registered Member

multi panes, multi tabs, album cover art displayed on music folders, check-box selections etc...

those are the big ones for me but 3rd party file managers have usually lot more options and settings for the power user.
    each user will find different use for these kind of tools.

22. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

+1:thumb: . Using Q-Dir since its initial release. Getting better and keep improve. Feature that I most like is "Color n design" even default theme was quiet enough for me :D

23. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Thanks Sully. I don't usually see the point of these sort of progs, but this one I DO like :thumb: .

24. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Directory Opus for me. I bought it back in December and am very glad I did. The online manual will give you an idea of just what can be done with this superlative program.

25. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

+1 on the Explorer++ and Cubic, used them both and they also have portable versions which need no install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.