windows explorer not responding

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iii, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iii

iii Registered Member

ever since i enabled windows updates my computer keeps freezing whenever i right-click on a icon on the desktop or anywhere else it freezes occasionally or if i try to delete a icon through the keyboard delete key it freezes occasionally. then a popup appears saying windows explorer isnt responding. Its extremely annoying, I disabled windows updates after running into this but it keeps happening now even with the windows updates disabled and uninstalling the windows updates that have been created since enabling them. how can i fix this my computer was working fine untill now

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Is it convenient to try a system restore point to before turning on win updates?

3. iii

iii Registered Member

i dont have a system restore point. I deleted them, vista takes alot of room for restore points. It's really strange how this issue happened. I cant think why its happening

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

5. iii

iii Registered Member

i still keep having problems? what else can i do

6. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

At my ex workplace this happenned on many computers.I was so-so regarding vista ,but seeing this on so many computers....quite dissapointed on Bill's boys..
    There it happenned after sp2 vas installed,so for the moment the only solution there was to uninstall sp2

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Look for clues under Control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. You may see something under Administrative Events, Application or System logs, I'm guessing.

8. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

What is your OS......Windows 7 ?
    At any rate try downloading MS Sysinternals Suite. Scroll to the context menu handlers and one at a time turn off listings. Maybe start with the Briefcase items. Also look for any left over stuff from uninstalled Anti Virus programs... uncheck these. Good luck with shell problem.

9. iii

iii Registered Member

while trying this i deleted a registry that now makes my computer always open a new window whenever i double-click any folder such as if i tried opening my documents folder or pictures folder. Does anyone know how i can change this back to how it was-just opening a new folder without opening a new window to do so?

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

iii you could try command prompt sfc/scannow to replace the .dll in the .dll cashe C:\WINDOWS\system32/dllcashe and run checkdisk just to make sure it isn't Disk problem.

12. iii

iii Registered Member

i know its windows updates that created this problem for me. I think windows updates is creating a problem with avast

yes my option is to open within window not to open in new window, i just checked but it still opens in new window when i double click a file

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.