Windows Explorer freeze

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by orochi, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orochi

orochi Registered Member

My comp was freeze everytime after i install and update some programs. I have run Kaspersky Antivirus 2006, Spyware Doctor, Ad-aware SE and Registryfix. But the same problem is still exist.

I have see the Event Viewer and these are the errors. What should i do?

Event ID : 7023
    Source : Service Control Manager
    The Distributed Console Manager service terminated with the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Event ID : 7001
    The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to
    start because of the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it
    has no enabled devices associated with it.

Event ID : 7001
    The Infrared Monitor service depends on the Terminal Services service which
    failed to start because of the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it
    has no enabled devices associated with it.

Event ID : 11
    Source : Disk
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi orochi,

Those event's look like XP .... care to confirm? If yes, move ahead and investigate Device Manager (runbox: devmgmt.msc). Once there look for any yellow question mark's, these are the item's that would (most likely) be causing your freeze. Do you recall the last program you installed or that received an update around the time this started happening?

GF

3. orochi

orochi Registered Member

Hi GlobalForce,

You are right. I am using Windows XP. I had look at the Device Manager and there is an unknown device with yellow mark. This is because no usb 2.0 port available. I had installed many programs last week so i dont know which cause the problems.

Also there are two more errors display on the event viewer.

Event ID : 7000
    The Application Layer Gateway Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Event ID : 7009
    Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Application Layer Gateway Service service to connect.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi orochi,

Tricky, not an area I've much experience with but we will see what if anything can come from a little more investigation. I've read around a couple of hardware forum's (event ID 11 stand's out) this is possibly caused by either an impending HD failure, or simply a bad cable .... the one that connect's your HD to the computer.

First check and make sure both ends of the cable are properly seated. Then, if you have the ability to swap said cable for testing purposes those freezes might quickly disappear, and should be checked for good measure .... could be as simple as that.

Second .... run the chkdsk utility, not from drive properties though, but from a command prompt (runbox: cmd).
    Set it up like this (replace drive with the letter your running the command against);

chkdsk drive: /f

For time's sake I'll assume your file system is NTFS .... what will happen is the cmd will say it cannot lock the drive,
    asking instead if you would like to schedule for next reboot .... please, DO SO! Error result's can then be retrieved from Event Viewer.

*Now for a few details if you would.

• Forward me the exact location of that yellow question mark inside devmgmt, as many detail's as you can muster.

• Forward the manufacturer of your hard drive.
      If you can search their site they probably have a diagnostic utility you can download to determine the health of your HD.

• Finally, bump a key out of your registry for me. Do so by copying and pasting the line that follow's into a runbox
      (again, replace drive with the partition letter your open on);

regedit /e drive:\devmap.txt "hkey_local_machine\hardware\devicemap"

Then runbox: \ > enter (only a backslash), this is where you'll find it. Back inside your reply control panel, look under the text box for "Manage Attachments." Clking it opens a new window (Java may have to be enabled), select "Browse," then go, select, and upload our devmap.txt. Close that window. Note it won't be visible during a preview, but if your post doesn't include it, use either edit to try again or ask for help in the test forum.

See you in two or so day's, gotta be somewhere.

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.