Windows Event Log - privacy issues ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by quietman, May 25, 2016.

1. quietman

quietman Registered Member

I'm not suggesting that this is a serious security /privacy issue , I'm just curious to know
    if anyone else has noticed this , and pondered it .

I was recently playing with OpenDNS on a W7 64-bit machine and trying to find out why the DNS settings
    were periodically being dropped , causing a revert to "allocate DNS automatically ".

I was surprised to see that some specific web addresses are stored in the event log .
    In this case it wasn't anything alarming ( eg banking ) , just the address of another forum:-

"Name resolution for the name forums.madeupname.info timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

And then I found another similar entry :-
    "Name resolution for the name search.r53-2.services.mozilla.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers

responded."

It would never have occurred to me that any specific browsing history might be stored there.

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Given all the OS sources, it may be difficult to know just how sensitive the log entries could be. Plus, applications and scripts can log events too (may be some admin limitations, I don't know the details). So it would be even harder to know what might show up there. Although it would not seem to be a juicy target, it is still something that could be picked over by a human and/or spyware that gained access to it. Good to be reminded of!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.