Windows Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Durad, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durad

Durad Registered Member

How is Windows Defender comparing to other antispyware software today?

LiveCare is better and better, does it meand that Windows Defender follows LiveCare?

2. tipo

tipo Registered Member

i would not advise you to use windows defender...there are a lot of other anti-malware programs way better than windows defender....just search :cool:

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

As for detection rate - One Care uses Microsoft's Antivirus and Microsoft's Antispyware definitions . Windows Defender uses just the antispyware ones .

I've been using WD for about an year and I think it is very good for what it is created. Here is something I found searching another forum I like reading:

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

On the Internet a lot off people praise it to be light on resources. Just open the task manager and start some aps using the default settings. I noticed it sometimes spiked up to 34% CPU usage on a mildly overclocked cheap dual core (E5200@3,06Ghz). When you deselct scheduled scanning and the on execute check, the I/O and CPU usage drops dramaticcally.

When WD checks its blacklist when one of the agents is triggered I do not know (should be, f.i. Spyware Terminator works that way). Considering all the agents it has got, one should not need the 'on execution agent'.

On my Son's gaming box (vista64) we only run the Vista FW (two way), LUA with Norton's UAC tool, Avira (check on write only, heuritstics high) and WD (no scheduled scan or on execution scan, but selected heuristics and joined the spynet as advanced user). Although he tends to search for cracks IE8 (64 bits in protected mode) and should visit the dark side of teh Internet (considering his age), the periodical scans of OSAM, Panda Anti Rootkit, Avira, MD, SAS, MBAM and Hitman Pro have not found anything the last two years.

But then again my mother of 75 managed to stay uninfected with a dead trial lisence of Norton for two years also (I reckon her surfing behaviour is saver :). This always helps to put things in perspective when I am playing with security set ups.

Regards Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.