Windows Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Zimzi, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Please, let me know your opinion on the Windows Defender. Express why you use or do not use Windows Defender?

Thanks.

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Because it is not up to the level to more advanced Anti-Spyware programs plus microsoft is not professional when it comes to dealing effectively enough with their own limitations be it by design or deliberate.

Besides, it opens the door for other developers to prove their skills exceed in that type area.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Its not that powerful. The detection isn't good and real time protection is kinda sucky. But thats just my opinion. There are better programs out.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am not aware of anyone who has ever found anything with Windows Defender. It provides some active protection but nothing along the line of the active protection provided by Spyware Terminator. A combo of ST realtime and some on-demand scans with SuperAntiSpyware/AVG anti-spyware would do a much better job than MS's offerring.

IIRC- on Vista, the Windows Defender may remove any other programs it deems untrustworthy, including other anti-malware programs you want to keep.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Think about it. Microsoft must by design limit it's capabilities in these type fields or else there would be no room for alternative developers. It's a wise choice and marketable one that expands new innovations because alone microsoft could never achieve what we all enjoy in these interests courtesy those new developers who are able to take up that slack and develop their own businesses.

As i see it, microsoft windows (by design) is a springboard for creating new businesses aka vendors who in turn keep the wheels rolling for microsoft products.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the whole picture.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

wd is a joke. m$ destroyed this product.

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I dont use it because I never get any spyware so there is no point letting it consume resources.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I don't use it because it's not good enough.
    Giant was a good program until MicroSoft got a hold of it.

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I put Windows Defender on the same level as Ad-Aware if that tells you anything.

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

When you say Adaware you mean the one before adaware 6? :p

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  11. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I mean any version of Ad-Aware including the beta version 7. :eek: Defender and Ad-Aware offer inferior detection compared to SAS, AVGAS, Spy Sweeper, Counterspy, etc.

However if you like detecting cookies and negligible items they might be for you. :-*

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I ditched it a long time ago, when it was still called "MS Windows Anti-Spyware BETA, BETA, BETA, ..." and I sincerely hope that it isn't a part of M$'s security suite "Windows OneCare", because Windows Defender has always been a still life on my computer, it didn't do anything than just taking space on my system partition.
    I also hate softwares that require internet for installation and Windows Defender is one of them.
    I guess it's good in detecting beta-malwares.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  13. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Windows Defender has lousy protection.

In my opinion you are better of with SuperAntispyware, SpySweeper, Asquared, Ewido, AVG antispyware and even Ad Aware.

WD will run in the back of your computer won't detect anything. It will make you computer a bit slower also.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's an incompatible joke.
    Mrk

15. Siro

Siro Registered Member

As it is available for free , I dont think there is anything bad in that and considering the other solutions from the elite ones like Webroot,Pctools cost quite a bit so having any alternatives and that too available for free is a good thing.Its protection is lousy I agree but its better than having nothing at your end...:)

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I would not call the alternatives elite...
    Mrk

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I agree Easter. It is not simply a matter of incompetence that Windows Defender and Windows OneCare are not very worthy products. M$ is full of smart people that know how to plan their market strategy well into the future. That would probably include showing how Symantec and McAfee dominate the internet security market and how M$ cannot mainstream their Windows security products.

It is not a coincidence that Windows Onecare and Defender are terrible security products while the Windows OS is generally considered a security nightmare. So we have the wedding of the blind leading the blind? All the while Bill Gates is the richest man on the planet.

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: after testing this new WD for several days, I have a major concern; temperature on HD surface has inceased into 42-45 C range during thorough scan; an alarming sign, which none of any other apps would have caused it. I do not know anyone else has a similiar encounter. I have toshiba HD, P4, 512 MB. o_O

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm not sure i follow you guys. How does Mcafee fit into their plans? They actually want competitors to win?

20. Long View

Long View Registered Member

But that is not the choice. The choice is between using WD or anyone of a number of better free alternatives like AVG

21. HAN

HAN Registered Member

My feelings are that WD is a poor manual scanning app. As others have already noted, it seldom finds anything. But as a real-time scanner, I think it's ok. Good enough that I trust using it at work on several PCs (I make sure the option to notify the user about unclassified threats is ticked.) It's mates on those PCs are NOD32 and BOClean.

(One thing that is definitely broken on WD is the Limited User support. It will alert to changes it sees but cannot prevent them... :( )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.