Windows Defender Beta 2

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Suggers, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suggers

Suggers Guest

I've heard that Windows Defender Beta 2 is one of the best free antispyware programs for windows XP.
    Is this true? Also, does anyone know what it is like on system resources?

Suggers

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It runs really light.

In my opinion , not so good as it pretends to be but this is subjective question and you may like it when you try it

HiTech_boy

3. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Cheers :thumb:

Suggers

4. XandroZ

XandroZ Registered Member

Windows Defender is based on GIANT AntiSpyware, which was originally developed by GIANT Company Software, Inc. The company's acquisition was announced by Microsoft on December 16, 2004. While the original GIANT AntiSpyware supported older versions of Windows, support for the Windows 9x line of operating systems was dropped. However, Sunbelt Software, which was originally GIANT's partner, sells a product based in the same technology called Counterspy which still has support for older Microsoft operating systems.
    Windows Defender (Beta 2) wa significant redesign, resulting in huge improvements. The core engine was rewritten in C++.This improved the performance of the application. Also, the program now works as a Windows service, unlike the earlier release which enables the application to protect the computer even when a user is not logged on. Because of this, the Windows Defender application is technically an interface to the service, which is also called by the same name. In addition, the application now protects more points-of-entry than the original application, while providing a more streamlined and intuitive interface. Beta 2 equires Windows Genuine Advantage validation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.