Windows complaining after Image Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tabvla, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

TI9 : Build 3633
    Disks : SATA - No RAID

I wanted to simulate how quickly I could get "up-and-running" in the event of a catastrophic system disk failure (mechanical or electrical) so I did the following:-

1. Cleaned up and defraged the System partition (1st partition on 1st disk)
    2. Shutdown
    3. Rebooted using TI boot disk
    4. Imaged the System partition to another partition
    5. Verified image
    6. Restored image to another disk (1st partition on 2nd disk)
    7. Exited TI Linux kernel
    8. Shutdown
    9. Removed power and data from 1st disk
    10. Rebooted into Windows which is the Restored image on Disk 2

Windows starts OK and Login proceeds normally. Everything looks like it has worked and that the system is up-and-running. Then Windows starts complaining. Error Message boxes start popping up. I cannot detect any noticeable difference in the OS or Applications, but it seems that Windows can.

For example, a message will popup saying that svchost.exe has encounted a problem and needs to close. If I check Task Manager > Processes I can see that a number of instances of svchost.exe seem to be happily working away - very much as normal.

A so it goes on. Message after message, usually different, sometimes the same or similar. So Windows is unhappy but I am scratching my head as to why and more importantly what the solution is.

Any thoughts?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

After you booted into Windows from your second disk did you then shut down and reboot again before proceeding ?
    When I do such a test Windows usually asks for this second reboot. In any case it would do no harm and might solve the pop up messages.
    I would actually start with your step 9 to simulate system disk failure. I would then connect the second disk in its place and boot from the recovery CD to do the restore from wherever you have stored an image previously.Not I hope from the system disk as this is the one that is supposed to be broken!!

Xpilot

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Thanks for that thought Xpilot.

Interestingly Windows didn't complain on the 1st boot, and yes you are correct Windows did ask for the 2nd boot. It was only after the 2nd boot that the complaining started.

Being SATA disks I didn't swap the cables as these disks are supposed to sort out the connections automatically. Might be a problem here, and certainly worth a try to see if that sorts the issue.

My steps are a little abbreviated, but yes, I did do the restore from the Linux kernel. Acronis may be doing some really clever stuff in the background but for my own peace-of-mind I prefer working from the Linux kernel when I am dealing with the System. For non-System operations the Windows interface is the much preferred option.

And again yes the image is on an external disk :D

Obviously I will keep trying options because it is of no value to me to have a restored system that complains. As a user all I can see is what is on the screen, Windows is getting feedback from the system all the time and there is obviously something not setup correctly in the system that although not immediately apparant on-screen could result in a terminal failure at some future point.

So back to try again... :gack:

4. eric_interplas_com

eric_interplas_com Registered Member

There's no telling what Windows must go through to fix a swapped channel condition on repoint it internal node references to keep operating on the second channel.

To be fair you should put the the second disk on the 1st SATA/IDE channel and test it that way. Hey, you still have the original disk intact, so why not.

-eric wood

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tabvla,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We recommend that you unplug the source hard drive completely prior to booting into the newly restored operating system for the first time, since keeping two identical hard drives connected might cause problems. If the problem persists and Windows still complains about some errors then please provide us with the following information:

- Boot into Windows from the source hard drive having the destination disk unplugged and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Boot into Windows from the destination hard drive having the source disk unplugged and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information once more;

- Rename the files collected to report_source.txt, sysinfo_source.NFO and report_destination.txt, sysinfo_destination.NFO accordingly;

- Let us know what exact error messages you receive upon the restored operating system second boot.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Thanks Alexey. I will do that and report back to the Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.