Windows & chkdsk

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I few weeks ago I purchased a 3.5" WD Green 1TB SATA300 Internal Hard Drive. I placed this new hard drive in my Rosewill Dock and (1) performed a "zero-write" to all hard drive sectors, (2) partitioned the hard drive as one Logical Primary ntfs partition and (3) performed a Full Format. The Partitioning and Formatting were done using Windows Disk Management (Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit).

I decided to use this hard drive as an internal backup drive in one of my PC's. I installed the hard drive in that PC. On first PC start with the newly installed hard drive, Windows (Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit) insisted on doing a chkdsk on that drive. The chkdsk operation took around 4 hours to complete.

Why would transferring this hard drive from an external USB 2.0 hard drive dock to an internal hard drive position cause a Windows chkdsk operation to be triggered?

Thanks in Advance.

2. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

To preserve the integrity of the Hard Disk Drive and the Operating System

Check Disk (Chkdsk) by default will run, "be triggered", when any major change to the Hard Disk Drive is detected,
    and/or an new Hard Disk Drive is introduced into the System. This event occurs to preserve the integrity of the
    Hard Disk Drive, and the Operating System.

This is accomplished by Check Disk inspecting the physical structure of the Hard Disk Drive making sure that the
    Hard Disk Drive is "healthy" by repairing any problems related to: bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files,
    directory errors, to mention an few capabilities of Check Disk.

What Chkdsk does and why it should be used:
    http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Note the two links to Microsoft documentation at the bottom of the Web page in the above link under the heading:
    More information.

HKEY1952

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I swapped hard drives around many times (also using xp) and never had a chkdsk performed automatically for no reason.
    Possibly windows xp detected some file corruption on the drive and ran a chkdsk. That it took 4 hours to me is a sign that the drive was corrupted. Even a large drive it wont take more than 20 minutes to run a normal chkdsk.
    But once the chkdsk is complete, it should run normally without any further issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.