Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe'.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jillarella, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jillarella

Jillarella Registered Member

I am despirate to fix my computer. It has been messed up for quite some time now and I have no idea how to fix it. Folders such as Add or Deleted programs in My Control Panel do not open. I get a message saying,
    "Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe'." I can't figure out how to fix this problem. Please help me!?? :(

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi,
    If you have a windows cd you could folow the infomation in this link
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    do that and it will ask for the windows cd after its done the box will disapear and then reboto and if it asks for the windows cd again put it in let it finish. Then try control panel and the other things and see if it works.
    sfc file checker checks to see if all the windows dll files are in thr right places and are not corropt replaces them for new versions.
    welcome to wilders!
    lodore

3. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

rundll32.exe loads .dll (Dynamic Link Libraries) and as a process can either be the valid Windows exe or a malicious bit of malware, the determining factor is generally where its trying to run from. In this case thats the location of the real rundll32.exe and it must have been corrupted or deleted somehow.
    (In other words application XYZ is unable to run becuase it can't locate rundll32.exe at some other location is likely a bit of broken malware, and rundll32.exe in the taskmanager process list could be either a valid entry or one in disguise as a valid entry)

there should also be a copy of it in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache though Id think Windows would look for it there if it didnt locate it in system32 directly
    you could try to manually copy it from the cache and paste it one level up in System32 if its there

but Windows sfc.exe as mentioned above is the preferred method to guarantee a stable uncorrupted version

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

when i had a dll error problem with the 16bit windows program i just copyed the file from the windows backup folder and replaced the current one and it worked perfectly.
    but if you have the windows cd use the sfc
    lodore

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Running your Spyware Program to find the Malicious program causing this problem could be the Solution. I had the same problem with dll's when clicking on my Desktop Icons, I got a similar message about Not being found. Before I did something Drastic,and completely screwed up my Computer, I ran Webroot Spy Sweeper, and it found 3 Items of stuff (Trojans) which it Quarentined, and after cleaning and rebooting,everything was fine :)

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

7. GregNeck

GregNeck Registered Member

Hi, When I start my PC nothing is working. I just have my normal wallpaper, but my Start, All Programs and stuff like that is gone. A little window in the upper-left corner says:

Making personal settings for:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscories.dll,Install

Though I can start my PC in Safe Mode, but i can do less things in Safe Mode than in Normal Mode. PLEASE HELP!!!!

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Reboot your Computer, while its rebooting repeatedly press F8 and when the Prompt Screen appears try the Option of last known good configuration

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.