Windows Blue build 9364 leaked to the internet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wild Hunter, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Hence all their marketing & all the nonsense about the traditional desktop disappearing in the next fortnight or something.

2. Daveski17

I agree.

Yeah, what do vampires know anyway? ;)

I think that the keyboard/mouse will be around a lot longer than MS seem to want us to believe.

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Most households have a mix of devices. If there is one generation as opposed to 2 or 3 generations in the home, there may still be several types of devices, each used for different reasons. My family has smart phones, tablets, desktops and laptops and they are all used regularly by all the family members. The tablet is the only device that started out with gusto and is now gathering dust.

The smartphone is by far the most used, mostly as a phone and secondly for texting and social networking. The smartphone apps bought from the vampire stores lost their novelty very quickly and only about 5 are regularly used. The laptops are for work away from home. The desktop is used by everybody in the family. It has games, apps that can be used at work and at home, saved files and receipts, saved information from heavy research projects and all the family photos and videos on board.

W7 on laptops and desktops. One laptop has Linux on it. The smartphones are all Android. One Surface tablet and the others are Android. Touch is expected on these devices, just as it is on the smartphones.

If subscription based OS is forced on us after W7 is no longer supported, then we will convert the desktop and laptops to Linux as we are already familiar with it. Android will be our choice on the smartphone. We like the direction that Samsung is headed and touch may just be on its way out. MS will be stuck with no desktop, laptop or tablet market as all their eggs will be in one basket. Can the tablet alone keep MS afloat?

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

while i dont disagree win 8 is good once tweaked i think its more the inititial shock of it when someone uses win 8 and most of these people are people who need no disruption of their work flow, some of my clients are high up in some companies and national sales managers doctors dentists etc and they do not want to have to re learn a whole new experience and will run win 7 for probably the next 10 years now. a lot are home users also though who call me and say i really tried to like it but it has to go.

just know you may not be able to use that custome start menu in blue at least this is what im told by a couple inside people i know the things needed to run a modded start menu and to boot direct to desktop are supposedly removed in blue. ill know more this weekend when i have some time to install and play with it more.

but in the end it will not be good i hate apps as i mentioned i dont own a apple product personally and i will not in the near future because of the same reasons now ms is turning into apple #2

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would disagree, I see a huge number of desktops in homes, not to mention corporate/business environments where desktops are still the majority. And if not desktops, then laptops acting as desktops with monitors and keyboards and mice plugged in, etc.

Contrary to what MS and others would have you believe, the desktop is nowhere near it's end of life. In fact, it's the only way one can get any kind of serious work done.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

So what's your point? It matters not when it was published.. The points are still valid.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

MS is absolutely crazy and completely off track with their agenda. I personally will never buy another MS product or machine with Windows, and this after decades of supporting them with purchases. I will go with either a Mac or Linux when this one dies. They are going to anger so many people with all this, that they may possibly never recover when their plans go wrong, which they are and will. Their days are indeed numbered...

8. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Your house isn't the whole market.

9. Wild Hunter

Weird. Even in the stores, I'm seeing desktops getting replaced frequently.

Laptops acting as desktops, well, that's another matter.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  10. Wild Hunter

This is simply not true.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would agree that desktops aren't as common as they once were, and that sales are declining, but I include laptops in the same category as desktops because that's how they are used frequently in business. In the office, they are docked or set up with monitors and keyboards etc, yet they're still mobile for trips and so on. Anyhow, I count them together, desktops/laptops as one large traditional non-touch market, that I don't see going away for ages..

12. Daveski17

In my experience it is very true.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

WH, there is simply no way I am going to try to work with a huge Excel spreadsheet or do something in Photoshop, 2 examples, on a touch based tablet, without a keyboard and mouse. It just isn't going to happen. Do you know how much of the corporate/business world depends on the traditional keyboard and mouse setup of the desktop/laptop? If you think that is going to change, you (and MS) are dreaming my friend.... :)

14. Wild Hunter

Nop, I was thinking about traditional desktops vs everything else.

15. Wild Hunter

16. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

My wife works for the largest power utility in the nation and their dependence on the desktop is enormous. They're still upgrading to Windows 7. They do not support Windows 8 for remoting into work. MS better wake up.

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

WH, have you ever tried using touch screen in a vertical position in a desktop like environment, for say, more than 5 min? What hardware did you use to write your last post? How fast can you type this post with keyboard vs. touch?
    Mrk

18. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Exactly, there's big $$$ to be made off of Materialists, and MS is obviously, to some extent at least, gearing their business model toward them.

19. Daveski17

I obviously don't have much experience posting these days ... o_O

Either way, I doubt I could spend much time using a tablet or a touch screen with the usual workload I have on my conventional PC. I stand by what I wrote (I think).

20. Daveski17

In my experience there is nothing really as good as a high quality conventional keyboard with a good action that you can really hammer occasionally without fear of breaking it. It's rare to get that even on a good laptop.

21. guest

guest Guest

Desktop isn't dead at all if MS isn't killing it! - Of course the market is saturated, everyone (I know!) has either a desktop and (or) a laptop, some of them now have a tablet in ADDITION and all have cellphones. It is not either OR of course ... and I have pretty dated hardware here (compared to the latest): it is MORE than fast enough (especially when using Webroot Secure Anywhere :D) for whatever I want to do. THERE IS NO NEED TO BUY A NEW DESKTOP RIGHT NOW LIKE IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO EVERY 6 MONTHS. (The only need for them is to make money, money, money .. and every step they go is directed to this and ONLY this goal recently. :thumbd: ) Then there is the financial and economic "situation" in the world and people are buying now TOYS from Apple for a few years ... that's all that is happening. If MS really is dropping desktop programs because of that tablet and touch hype they are beyond recovery.

They could have had ALL. Happy desktop users AND (a chance on) the new "market" (tablet hype). I don't know what imbecile thought it would be a great idea to botch that two different things into one, but that is easily the worst idea EVER and will of course NOT work!

People like WH declare all other folks as not important, that is the same arrogance we see from MS, wonder why? Another reason for me thinking about the word fanboi is: I can't remember when certain persons ever had something to criticize when it comes to MS related stuff. All that talk about desktop being obsolete is just Redmond-BS they tell themselves while looking into the bottomless pit. MS is doomed the same way EU (and EURO) is. Earth will still rotate after those bullies are gone. As I said: I don't care about MS at all, it's only a shame for all those developers and products we got used to. And frankly I think Windows is much more than "their" product. No, it is OUR (!) platform and we should not allow them to destroy it!

22. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

23. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

It is absurd to think that the desktop is nearing it's end of life. Like many others have said, there's just no comparison when it comes to productivity - desktop wins, bar none.

24. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

And it jives with their latest Office licensing scheme being tied to one device. And the rumors about future MS os's being subscription based as well, I suppose, if it turns out to be true.

I don't view MS as this divine panacea that some are making them out to be, that decides what demand is in this world. Quite the contrary, they're often not even at the forefront of trends, which is what this thread is about, really, them trying to catch up.
    Try playing a triple A game title on a 40" monitor using touchscreen.:argh:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

@WildHunter: I sense you and I have been down this path before, lol. But, marketing is marketing, and statistics, well, you know what they say about that. Mobile computing has become essential, whether that is good or bad depends on how you look at a world in which the workforce never really gets off work. They go home these days, and the emails, the Skypes, the IMs all follow them. Because in reality, it's the workforce that has driven the rise of mobile computing, nobody else. Unlike the Android, the MS and Apple commercials on TV, the world isn't sitting around the house playing games on the smartphone or tablet, nor are teens using them to pass around that awesome concert footage and other things you see in these wildly out of touch with reality commercials.

Mobile is being used by that guy that has a meeting in Tokyo tomorrow, and has to catch a flight to London the day after. Mobile computing is being used by office workers who have luncheons with execs from other companies, and many more office and business related uses. Even then, guess what is sitting there in the cubicles? Guess what that iOS using CEO has on his or her desk...yeah, a desktop. Why is that? Well, because you aren't going to do major presentations on a tablet. You aren't going to keep massive financial databases and any sort of major record keeping on a freakin iPad. Outside of the office, have fun trying to play any major game coming out this year on the pathetic hardware of a tablet...oh, right..you're not going to. Try to store a ton of music and movie files on a tablet, not gonna happen. There's a damn good reason for that, they aren't meant to be used for it...they're meant for mobile. Oh, and your lovely "All in ones", any but the highest priced ones (ones that make Apple look cheap), they're almost entirely unable to be upgraded. Spent 1800 bucks on a new AIO? Hope you got a great one, you'll under most circumstances be buying another when that one craps out. On the best ones, it's like trying to upgrade a laptop (especially since almost all of them use laptop parts), on the middle of the road to poor ones, you're buying another unit, no ifs ands or buts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.