Windows backed up using "data backup" method

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dexyco, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dexyco

dexyco Registered Member

Hi all, unfortunately when I did backup, I did not mention which method is doing what, so I used "data backup" for backuping Windows XP instead of image backup. All of the files needed by system are backed up successfully, but MBR not. :doubt: As I ve understood, the only thing needed by system from MBR is Volume ID. There are some tools for changing volume ID, but the only problem is, where to find the old Volume ID? When I open backup in TI, program does not allow "restore to the original location" option, so the old volume ID is probably recorded in the TI backup archive, and it compares those IDs (from partitions on the computer, and the one recorded). Am I right, and how can I find the old Volume ID? Or maybe I need something more from MBR?

Thanx. :)

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

The volume ID (partition ID) is always the same as the "mounted devices" drive letter.
    Example:
    original windows xp = mounted devices c: / partition ID c:

When restored both must match in order for it to bootup.

You can use a bartpe with the savepart plugin, it will give you the actual partition ID signature in numerical syntax.

I never backup or restore the MBR, not really required especially if you will restore to a different hard drive. If the restore drive won't bootup, I use a "boot corrector" to change the "partition ID" , a simple 5 minute fix.

I don't think too many people recommend the "data" backup be used to restore your hard drive. Either "image" or "clone" is recommended, I only use the "image" backup method. Failure to backup the MBR will never prevent you from restoring an image backup on any partition or hard drive, but a "data" backup might be the reason why it won't restore properly.

3. dexyco

dexyco Registered Member

Yep, that is the problem. Anyway, can I get the ID from windows bootup files? Can boot corrector find and restore old ID or match the new ID with the ID windows remembers? Thanx :)

4. dexyco

dexyco Registered Member

Finally I ve found some time to deal with this problem. The fact is that the drive letter is not the problem, I ve tried to repair boot using the paragon cd, but it did not fixed it. Is there any other problem that can be caused by new partition ID?

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Did you do a file by file backup of the system files? I don't think that will capture all the system files; I think you need to use the My cmputer method to get protected system files. That might be why your machine isn't booting.

6. dexyco

dexyco Registered Member

Machine boots up properly, but the explorer service is not working properly. All of the files are backed up, so that should not be the problem.

7. dexyco

dexyco Registered Member

Any other idea? I guess I will do everything over again, cause I didn 't get the right answer anywhere...

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

dexyco, I agree with shieber, to avoid the same issue in the future you should create a backup image of the system partition.

If you have Windows installation CD, you can try to resolve the current issue by performing a repair installation of your Windows. Windows Repair Installation will keep your applications and configuration untouched.

The full description of this process is available here

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.