Windows 8

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by RazarBack, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RazarBack

RazarBack Registered Member

First time posting, forgive if I am not on correct Forum. I am interested if a release date is close for Returnil for Windows 8?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi RazarBack and welcome to the forums :)

Windows 8 support will be included in the new 4x series starting with Returnil No Trace (RNT). I do not yet have a release date as the team is still working on some last minute items related to the final GUI design, localizations, and verification of developmental bug fixes.

We will be posting a notice when the release is getting closer so keep an eye on the forum.

Mike

3. RazarBack

RazarBack Registered Member

Thank you, I am a Returnil fan, and for me, the release won't come any too soon.

4. Metavoid

Metavoid Registered Member

so will RNT be more like RVS 2008 meaning no AV scanner ?

I loved 2008 version as it was so light and could run off memory only
    but gave up using the 2010+ product as it caused delay in booting and insisted on writing to my SSD.

The website seems a bit "left to die" so its good to see that RVS is still alive and kicking :)

Oh, just so I am prepared. RNT will use the new awful look of win 8, I assume?

Thank you

5. Coldmoon

Hi Metavoid,
    Yes, the new RNT is more like the original RVS 2008 versions in that it does not include antimalware and anti-execute as were introduced in the 2010 series. It has better performance than any of the previous generations, including 2007/2008.

As for the final GUI I can't really give you an idea at the moment as the development team is still working to complete that part of the upgrade. I got an update from them at the begining of this week however that they are almost ready to release the new design internally for testing and text corrections/updates for the new screen designs.

The website has been a bit static and will be getting updated as we get closer to the public release. It has been a lower priority as we have been concentrating on the development and testing of RNT which has included the complete reengineering of the core virtualization component to include Win 8 support.

With that said however, if you liked the old 2008 series, you are really going to like the new RNT ;)

6. Metavoid

Metavoid Registered Member

hi coldmoon
    Thats sound really good. Actually reading about RNT reminds me of the vmware snapshot feature for virtual machines.
    Having that on the real system would be a epic feature.
    As for the GUI, im just not so much into the new overly bright colors and airport style graphics
    but if it functions well I can live with the "modern" interface. And if it even has better performance than 2008 versions, its already sold ;)

Hopefully they allow buying one and as not with the Lite version that is only sold 5 at the time making it a no go for private use.

well, the only reason the web page seems a bit static is because the names end with 2011 and we are now in 2013 :)

Thank you.

7. Coldmoon

Yes, the long period between upgrades has been directly tied to the reengineering effort as the process involved significant upgrades to the virtualization driver and this takes time to do properly.

The new RNT will include both consumer level (single seat) and business level (multi-seat with remote management) options. It will also have aggressive pricing so will be easier on the wallet to be sure.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Looking forward to Returnil getting back to it's better functionings like during it's debut run, and especially on Windows 8 x64! Its going to be a real chore I bet given the new O/S platform's added recovery partitions, but if it can be done correctly enough, that's all that counts.

Regards Easter

9. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Does anyone know if they kept the change in color of the icon so you know when in virtual mode?

10. Coldmoon

Hi Rilla927,
    The change is more dramatic than a simple icon color change. In the new generation, the following happens:

1. The Task bar changes color in Windows and,

2. Open Windows borders also change color

In both cases, the color is returned to default color following release of the virtualization.

Mike

11. Coldmoon

Hi Metavoid,
    The new GUI has been released internally this week and to confirm -> yes, it has a Win 8 type look and feel ;)

Mike

12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Long time since i used returnil.
    Does it still have a free version available.?
    Thanks.

13. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Will there be a free version available?
    Is the paid version a rentware (yearly license renewal fees) or is it a lifetime license with paid upgrades or life time license with free upgrades?

14. Coldmoon

The 4x generation will be subscription based with a much more agressive price range.

Mike

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's my view that the resurgence of Returnil is going to attract a huge audience with the extra new Microsoft Windows 8 now joining along with the group of previous platforms and the fact that Virtualization Technology is very relevant in the field of systems security.

16. kupo

kupo Registered Member

So Returnil will no longer offer a free version?

17. Coldmoon

At the current time there are no plans to have a free v4x option but it WILL have trial licensing available as usual.

Mike

18. mattdocs12345

Is it going to be one time fee or a yearly fee?

19. Coldmoon

Hi,
    The licensing will be subscription based with yearly and bi-yealy options when available from the web store at a single seat you will find very attractive ;) :cool:

20. mattdocs12345

Ughhh subscription based.... thanks I will pass...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.