Windows 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LenC, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have just purchased a replacement desktop computer - will arrive in a couple of weeks.

What's the best way for me to preview and learn in advance about Windows 8? I know it's quite different than 7, and certainly different than the OS I'm most familiar with - Windows XP.

Any recommendations would be appreciated - books, websites etc. I'm a reasonably proficent computer user - but not a technical expert by any means.

Also, I use Shadow Protect to image my current computer. Surprisingly, Shadow Protect is not yet available for Windows 8 - Storagecraft tells me it will be released in Jan-2013. I don't want to be without imaging capability in the meantime. I've read that Windows 8 has imaging capability - is that true and is it decent? If not, is there any other imaging software you would recommend until SP for Windows 8 is available?

Thanks,
    Len

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

W8 uses the same imaging app as W7.
    it's very stable and fast.
    the only downside is that there isn't many options but it gets the job done quite nicely.

i also recommend Terabytes Image for Windows/DOS/Linux.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/...06/eight-enthusiast-updates-in-windows-8.aspx

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for that link Roy.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

7. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Native is a bit of an overstatement.

MS and Intel don't need to worry though, the COMMUNITY fixed it for them.

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Amazon has "Top 100 Tips for Windows 8" available for $0.99 as an ebook. If you don't have a Kindle or Kindle app then you can use their 'cloud reader' to read it from your browser.
    http://amzn.com/B009UAFZXI

9. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Acronis True Image Home 2013 is much improved and works well with Win8. I am also waiting for Shadow Protect. It is disconcerting how slow Storagecraft has been in updating their product.

10. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The software should support both Windows 8 and UEFI. Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite SP3 is an option.

11. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thanks everyone - really appreciate all the suggestions. I'm looking forward to reading up on WIN 8.

With regard to backups, I think I'll use the backup built into WIN 8 until the update comes through for Shadow Protect.

Again, thank you!

12. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Um not for me. Bought a copy as a stock gap until storage craft update for windows 8. tried it twice failed both times.

I ended up using shadow desktop and cold imaging with a little bit of first defence to restore archived snapshots

It is very disconcerting how slow Storagecraft has been in updating their product

13. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

If you have some interest in privacy and related settings, you should take a look at the Windows 8 Privacy Statement:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-8-privacy-statement?T1=supplement

and any others that would apply to your usage scenario:

http://www.microsoft.com/privacystatement/en-us/core/otherproducts.aspx

Searches like:

"Windows 8" configuration OR setup OR install tips OR checklist OR guide

would also prove useful. Good luck. Don't forget to make "desired configuration notes" as you go. I hope you enjoy your new machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.