Windows 8

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by crushrr, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Noted, but on my PC how do you access the set up for ESet if the GUI is unaccessible, and you have no notification area icon to click? As others I have ESS 5 on and running but cannot access anything!!!
    On my laptop (W8x32) when ESS installed I got a HIPS failure box as it was unable to connect to driver, and no GUI/icon.
    I have lost count of the number of times I have un/reinstalled ESS and it is driving me nuts.

2. Bob241963

Bob241963 Registered Member

I am not sure if this is a reply to the solution I posted, but presuming it is. First you need to download Ramdisk (AMD has a free version on their website), install a Ramdisk (which is based on the premise that you can allocate enough ram in your system to do this -- although if it is just ESET then you need only allocate enough for the program -- though I would add a few extra mb as Windows does not recognize the full size of my Ramdisk), remove your current ESET installation, and then install ESET to the Ramdisk. It has worked for me, the gui works properly and the tray icon loads with each reboot. HIPS even works although it takes a while (an hour or so) after each reboot for it to startup.

3. Bob241963

Just to make it clear the solution that I posted, which does get the GUI to work in Windows 8, still leaves some problems with HIPS. HIPS fails to communicate with the driver upon reboot but after my system runs for a bit it begins to work and continues to work until I reboot whereupon the cycle described above is repeated. Generally it starts to work after the system has been running for an hour or two.

4. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Bob, thanks for that. On poking around in the tools for CCleaner start menu, I find that the ESet GUI has a location thus;
    C:\ProgramFiles\ESET\ESETSmartSecurity\egui.exe/hide/waitservice

The last two might explain why the GUI will not run, and at face would appear that they should be deleted then perhaps GUI will show.
    What does one do safely to amend that??

5. Bob241963

That is the registry string for ESET which you can find by running

regedit\hkeylocalmachine\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

however that is the same registry key installed in my registry (and everything is working since I installed ESET to the Ramdisk) and from what I can find it is the correct syntax for that string. I read elsewhere that it may work to relocate that registry string to the same directory under Wow6432node. However I tried that and could not get it to work (my knowledge of registry editing is extremely limited so someone else may be able to make that work).

I am not sure what removing those switches at the end of the string would do.

6. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

I feel that customers should not be doing all this. If there are problems with the software then ESet should be coming up with a permanent fix, but from the crashing silence from them (on THEIR forum) one assumes they neither know nor care that many are having trouble.
    A short 'yes we know and are working on it' does not take long does it?

7. Bob241963

No argument from me this is clearly a failure on ESET's part to have a fully working product ready for the launch of a new windows OS (which I would think is a pretty big event in the anti-virus software world). Perhaps version 6, which has been released in some parts of the world already, will address this problem.

8. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

One would hope so Bob. In a fit of despair I have uninstalled ESet totally from both my computers, and they both run fine with all icons showing where they should be, no flashing action centre messages etc, which shows it is ESet causing all the trouble ( it would not even update the virus definitions in the condition it was 'running'). As you say I will try again with V6 when launched.

9. Bob241963

Did you try the Ramdisk solution (above)? It does work. If your ram is limited you can make the disk just big enough to install ESET.

10. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

11. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

@Bob...V6 is not long away so will try that then and rely on WSA until.
    @GC...no GUI to access!!

12. Bob241963

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.