Windows 8 will return Start menu

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cruelsister, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

MSFT will absolutely make changes in 8.1. Although most of the discussion seems to talk about a Start Button, it's really about the traditional desktop being reinstated, not so much for home users, but for Corporate clients. If any of you have been to any of the focus groups of late you would have seen how the speaker was (at the least) heckled when Metro was spoken about.

Remember that XP is still used in many corp environments and XP support will be up next year. Facilities like Hospital groups still use XP and under no circumstance can they continue to use an OS that will no longer be patched, so they will have to switch. Although it is an option for the facility to choose 7 over 8, this wouldn't assist MSFT in their goal to create a software closed system a la Apple. So the compromise? A Windows 8 traditional desktop in 8.1.

Bet on it.

(and you can- look for Windows sales to increase dramatically next year to to the transition out of XP. Buy MSFT Jan15 LEAPS).

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I will believe it when I see it, and I don't expect to see it. I think corporate IT departments will play it safe, and go with 7, and avoid 8 like the plague, regardless of what MS claims it's going to do with 8. They aren't suicidal or stupid. And they won't settle for a half-assed product... If 7 is a sure thing, with support until 2020, why would they go with anything else? :)

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Yeah, I saw rumors of a "boot to desktop" feature.

Having an option wouldn't hurt, but they need to be extremely careful with defaults...

4. cruelsister

Keodo- as things stand now I totally agree with you- Win7 all the way. But as a Windows closed system is what MSFT wants, they will placate everyone in 8.1.

I'm using a Win8 system now (with the StartisBack mod) and absolutely love it. And I think IE10 with the SmartScreen filter is worth the transition alone for corp environments.

5. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I hope Microsoft makes the system shutdown options more visible. It is very cumbersome to go to the right side corner, choose settings and choose power. Now I press the power button in my system or alt+f4 to get shutdown options. I am trying my best to stick with the original windows 8 UI :p

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  6. cruelsister

I give you credit for trying to stick with Metro! It didn't last 48hrs for me as it just wasn't the efficient way to do things on the desktop.

7. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I stick with metro but not with metro apps :D I removed all apps from the start screen and replaced them with shortcuts for desktop applications. I also place a folder in desktop which contains shortcuts for all my programs :) I am concerned about the privacy settings and security of these apps as they are installed per user and not system wide. Desktop apps which are installed for the whole system are protected from modification by UAC, standard user accounts and I can block execution of unknown applications using SRP. I can clean traces of logs, history of desktop applications using ccleaner but I am not sure about these apps whose data are removed only on their removal.
    It seems that in the future Microsoft wants all applications to be sold using its windows store. I wonder how customized software created for a particular organization can be sold using windows store.

8. Wild Hunter

Desktop apps have access to other apps and system files. Modern apps are sandboxed from one another.

CCleaner already supports IE10 "Metro" and the CCleaner community is actively adding support to Modern apps in the Winapp2.ini.

This guide also offers some tips unrelated to CCleaner.

They probably won't and Microsoft knows. Some advises by MS related to this can be read here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsstor...deploying-metro-style-apps-to-businesses.aspx

"...While the Windows Store will be a great way to deploy apps to business customers, there are apps that IT admins will want to distribute directly to the end-users. This option makes sense for custom and proprietary line-of-business (LOB) apps, or enterprise software purchased directly from an ISV. So, as either a developer at a private corporation or as a commercial developer, if you decide to build a Metro style app for distribution outside of the Windows Store, you should..."

9. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Thanks for the detailed reply and the link for the guide:) Regarding desktop applications what I meant to say is while they can access system files (when run as administrator) their executables (which resides in the program files folder) cannot be modified by malware run with limited permission unless the user gives it admin access. In case of store apps is there a protection mechanism if there is an unauthorized modification by malware (probably a desktop malware accessing apps folders in the user space)? Will the app warn against such modification when run?

10. Wild Hunter

11. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I read that apps are installed per user. Also there is a need to install the same app again and again for every user if all of them want to use it. Do you mean that any app installed by any user will go straight to windows app folder under Program Files? If so can I presume that windows store will take care of the integrity of the app?

See here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464929.aspx

Some discussion here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/89cfcbbd-78f8-4471-8f4e-f04e8905943a

12. Wild Hunter

Yes, but with their own further restricted permissions which may be different for each different user.

And not only the app, but every data related to the app as well (they don't touch the registry, etc).

Windows 8 takes care of that... Delivering reliable and trustworthy Metro style apps

13. cruelsister

You guys are finally discussing the true danger of Metro. Every app will have to go through MSFT to be approved to run on Windows, and Ballmer and Co. will get a piece of the action for every installation. Apple-think.

14. Wild Hunter

Not necessarily. As mentioned here by MS, direct distribution of Modern apps is an option too.

15. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

16. Wild Hunter

These sideloading-related questions only apply to Modern apps.

And these restrictions seem to be a good assurance for such a big investment IMO.

Otherwise, WinRT would simply repeat the malware infested characteristic of other popular ecosystems (Win32 and Android are the biggest examples).

BTW, I can't see any abuse by MS right now, but I understand that such things demand attention/caution. :p

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  17. anon

anon Registered Member

May 6, 2013:

Microsoft to reveal Windows Blue pricing, availability soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.