Windows 8 - Unsuccessfull restore from differential backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ultradj83, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultradj83

ultradj83 Registered Member

Hi everybody.

I created a full backup of the entire hard drive.
    It's a Windows 8 installation with standard partitioning:
    MBR - System Reserved (primary) - C: (primary)
    After this I scheduled a weekly differential backup.

All operations, included restore, succeeded.

My system encoured in major crash, no way to fix so I decided to restore from backup:
    1) Restore from latest differential backup: system can't boot, I have blue screen asking to do a system restore.
    2) Restore from full backup: system ok.
    3) Restore from latest differential backup: system can't boot, I have blue screen asking to do a system restore.

So, no way to restore to latest differential backup.

Any suggestions?
    Is this a known problem?

Thanks a lot!

2. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

I really hope a more experienced user will answer your question. (I have started to create differential backups on almost a daily basis.) To me this seems to be obvious:

> You start with a full backup (“the base”) on Monday.
    > You create daily differential backups (Tuesday, Wednesday …..)
    > On Saturday you decide to go back to the “Thursday restore point”
    > You then have to perform TWO restore operations:
    - First the base from Monday
    - Then the differential backup from Thursday.

But that is exactly what you have done, ultradj83? (point 2 & 3).

I really hope somebody can clarify this issue.

(Previously I have only performed full backups, and I have never been turned down by Paragon during a restore...)

3. ultradj83

Yes, at the end it's exactly what I've done.

In the truth, my 1st action has been a restore from differential because I was believing that Paragon would automatically restore the base and then apply differences.
    When I saw it wasn't ok, I manually restored base + differential, but I had the same blue screen.
    Finally, I manually restored base and I'm now manually restoring my Appdata from the differential in order to have at least up to date applications settings...

4. ultradj83

Anyway, I think the original problem is by Windows 8:
    1) Full image backup with system's utility doeasn't work.
    2) When my problem happened, I found system restore disabled.
    3) System ran automatically in repair mode and stucked after 30 minutes.
    4) System refresh was not available

Just after these I decided to restore from backup...

5. John Doe Genius

Thanks to seekforever who answered the differential restore question in another thread (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2155131&postcount=2)

The normal way for a program to behave is to just select the differential from the date you want and it will then restore the system to that date and the only way it can do that is to also restore the base. This implies there is no need to restore the base then the differential.

However, seekforever wrote “Take this FWIW since I don't do differentials or incrementals, only Full.”

Someone reading this forum does know for sure?

Is the correct procedure to select the differential file I want, and then the program automatically selects the base image? – That solution seems to be logical.

6. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

I am testing the issue with BR12 Home not properly restoring a differential as we speak I will update as soon as possible.

7. ultradj83

I'm doing the same with a clean machine...

8. Paragon_Matt

Could you please clarify were you attempting to restore a GPT/UEFI system or a Basic MBR system? I just created a backup with the BR12 Service Pack and created a full/differential backup and the restore worked perfectly. Please clarify also if the backup you restored was from an older created backup.

9. Paragon_Matt

Ok, just finished my testing of multiple scenarios, and there is a bug where differentials that were created with an older version of the software aren't able to be restored with the Service Pack Recovery Media, Development is aware of the issue and is working on it as we speak. If you have created differentials with older versions please be aware that they will not properly restore with the service pack recovery media. For anyone currently using Windows 8, Please begin re-creating any fulls and differentials with the new build of software.

10. ultradj83

I'm on basic MBR systems with Paragon Backup & Recovery™, version 10.1.19.15786 (28.05.12 ) Free, while I created the recovery media with the latest version from web, so maybe you found the problem!

The only edited parameters are:
    1. Best compression
    2. password of 6 numbers

I'm now close to complete tests in the environment where problem occoured and in other environment.

I'll feedback asap.

Do you think this can be fixed?

Tks.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  11. Paragon_Matt

Yes, the issue will be resolved, I just can't give a specific time table as to the resolution, our software has always been backward compatible. I have confirmed the issue, just make sure that any differentials that were created before the service pack are recovered with recovery media that was created before the service pack as well.

12. ultradj83

Thanks,
    by now it's enough to stop updates, it works perfectly with same version.

Best regards

13. ultradj83

Unfortunately there's an other problem: all metro applications need to be reinstalled to make them work again, otherwise it's impossible to open them...

14. Paragon_Matt

I didn't come across that issue, but again I will test it, was that attempted restore from a differential or full image? Also, please clarify for me, when you attempted the restore did you choose specific folders when going through the restore process?

15. John Doe Genius

How to restore from differential BUs? Base first, then the wanted Diff? Or only the wanted Diff?

I performed a test today. I have a base from 01.12.2012 and 5 Diffs up to 17.12.2012. All of them are created with the latest build - # 16240; bug or not bug, I think it is preferable to start e new chain when a new release is installed. My backup scheme is a partition backup of the “System drive C:” including MBR and the SYSTEM part (Windows 7 x64), the main partition has the label 'Compaq'). During the restore you have to select which of these object you want – one at the time.)

First: I restored the diff from 10.12.2012 (object 'Compaq') in normal Windows mode. I have never used Paragon in this manner; I was naturally asked to restart the computer. A unfamiliar screen was displayed, but not difficult to understand: * Initialize and reopen archive DB * Restore partition or disk [with a Progress Bar]. When finished, the computer rebooted automatically.

SUCCESS!! The computer was back to 10.12.2012, including the Windows account I deleted 12.12.

Next: Booted from the WinPE CD (created with BMB 16240 and 64b drivers added using the WAIK environment). I restored the diff from 17.12.2012, object 'Compaq'. The app displayed the reading of files from both 01.12 and 17.12, ended with "All operations have be finished"; manual reboot required.

SUCCESS!! The computer was back to 17.12.2012.

It is nice to know that I have a reliable image backup system. And that I am able to handle it...

16. ultradj83

From base, but be aware that this problem might also come because of updates in the store, I notice that it's sometimes needed to install available updates to continue to use the app, otherwise it closes automatically...
    After restore, store detected some available updates: i chase to install and after, updated applications were fixed, while others weren't...

I wrote to bill@microsoft.com but I'm still aware of answer...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.