Windows 8 To Go Up...A Lot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mman79, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Of course. Part of it is upgrade costs. Another issue is need for big monitors or high processing power. For example, working full time with Office, is much better with big monitor. Things Photo editing, cad design, video processing/editing, mostly need both big monitors and high processing power. Then you have extreme gamers who want raw power and aren't happy enough with Playstation/X-box. Then you have home users who like video encoding, Folding, etc, who need processing power that only desktops give.

Ahaha! True! At the end, i may end up with Linux. Hopefully in a few years i won't be playing any more games (already i 've lost much of my past interest), so i won't miss much. In the worst case, i will fall on my knees before Mkrvonic begging him to tell me how to run in WINE a couple of Windows games that i like too much. :D

MS ignores it because she can... They control 91% of desktop market. Who's going to outsell them? Linux? Linux devs are too busy inventing the 10th desktop enviroment to catch such opportunities... So they won't buy Win8, So what? They ll have to buy Win9! It's not like they have some super-competitor that waits for the opportunity to grab their clientele.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think that someday in the future Microsoft are going to regret releasing Win 8 & this policy of not wanting to cater for desktop users. I think that they have seriously misjudged what is happening & predictions of what is going to happen in the future. Maybe their crystal ball was cracked. ;)

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

From that title of the post, I was surprised thinking it meant market share. Of course not.

7. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I wish I had been able to buy Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for $39! Here in my upsidedown country they were flogging the Upgrade disk pak for $59 – still – it looks like my decision to buy it, even at that price was an excellent one – I knew Windows 8 was going up in price in January (all the media rumours here said so!) :thumb: :thumb:

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'm still deciding to buy or not to buy but i will not fall in their marketing scam of giving discounts so people get it before they raise the prices.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Gamers only upgraded to Windows 8 in order to give support for their DirectX 11.1-compliant Radeon HD 7000 and GeForce 6xx series (On steam hardware survey, note that the combined marketshare of these GPUs is very similar to the Windows 8 market share). Thus, it is not a very good indicator IMO.

Windows 8 is good, but Microsoft is dropping the value in upgrading. Apart from Metro UI there isn't really much to Windows 8 in the way of usability and feature enhancements. Selling it at Windows 7's price isn't a great idea IMO.

People upgraded from Windows Vista to 7 primarily because of FUD. People who stuck with Vista SP2 will probably upgrade to 8, not 7 for similar reasons.

On a grand scale, steam survey aside, Windows 8 is doing as poorly as Vista. And for what it's worth, I think Vista handled it's "situation" with more merits than 8 does today. That doesn't mean 8 is bad, I'm just saying MS would do good to keep prices at least a bit down.

10. Daveski17

:thumb: I couldn't have said this better myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Nonsense. There are 0 dx 11.1 games and there will continue to be 0 unless 11.1 is backported to more OSs.

The reason they are upgrading is probably price and being on the latest and greatest.

If it's going to be the base of all future Windows updates, it makes perfect sense.

Right. Obviously it had nothing to do with any of the improvements it offered like better use of system resources...

Once again there is 0 evidence of this. Comparing sales of PCs now vs sales of PCs back then is flawed.

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That is interesting and sounds about right.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

They're built to last a long time:)
    I my country the Cat food prices has gone up quite much during the last few years so it aint cheap to live on that either, maybe Dog food is cheaper :p
    Sure is, I am "switching" myself but I am waiting for the right update to take place. :D

So I surely won't go from XP to Win8

We got 3 Cats btw. :)

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Well said. I can understand people wanting to stick with Windows 7 because it is an excellent operating system and they feel no need to move on just yet - and there will be more reason to stay with Windows 7 once the price for Windows 8 goes up. But like you, I don't understand all the hatred towards Windows 8 which is making people want to stick with Windows 7, and people saying that Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7, just with Metro added on.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  16. Daveski17

They should be at those prices.

No, I was thinking of actually eating cats. There are plenty of them where I live. ;)

The right update? Windows 10?

No one should have to do that.

I bet they would be delicious in a stew. ;)

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Honestly guys, I don't think it's what you'd call "hatred". It's just a pretty firm rejection of what they see in 8. Some are willing to adjust to it, and others aren't even going to give it a chance. That's just the variety of human reaction in action. "Hatred" is a very strong word. I personally don't have the energy to "hate" anything... it's just not worth it. I think people use the "hate" word to try to make it look like those who don't agree with them are being unreasonable.

Maybe there are a few genuine "haters" around, but I think most people just don't like 8. Pretty simple.... Let's not try to make it a crime....

18. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I can't wait till February 1st comes.;)
    The promotion will end and all these discussions will come to an end...

As for those that wonder why all the "hate" versus 8? The answer is simple: because of the MS win8 cheerleaders, that infested the internet as a "plague".
    If windows 8 was THAT GREAT it would sell by itself, no advertising needed, since the pc world was waiting for it to come for the last 3 years... And for 40$ it would have already replaced/upgraded every xp,vista and 7 home machine out-there.
    And by the way, 60 millions sold in three months, is nothing compared to the 1.25 billion windows machines (especially if we take in account the current promotion)...
    http://www.businessinsider.com/right-now-there-are-125-billion-windows-pcs-worldwide-2011-12

Panagiotis

19. roger_m

Maybe hate was too strong a word...

20. Fuzzfas

I will paraphrase you. It's what you DON'T see in 8. Just google "Windows 8 new features" and you will either laugh or cry. Makes Windows Me appear like some revolution in Windows history feature-wise.

Then you go and look "Windows 8 eliminated features" and you start thinking "wait a minute". Then you have the "Windows 8 hidden features" and you ask yourself "why?". Then you start searching the "how to eliminate Metro" and you know something is wrong and then you look at the Flatland and you think "this can't be right. This flat thing can't be an upgrade. This doesn't look like 2013, in 2009 it looked better".

The worst of all, is, you must call this "upgrade" and you 're called weird when you don't get how's an upgrade. The best thing you hear (apart the boot time), is a phantomatic "performance", which on tests is a mixed bag and the refered as "clear performance increase" is mainly a perception of "speed" generated by the turned off graphics and removed features. It's like if i go to Win7, remove DVD player, Media center, kill some services, load Windows 7 basic theme and say to a Win7 user with full aero "look, my Win7 is much faster than yours". Yeah, thanks! And my XP is faster than all.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, a little bit I think... :)

22. roger_m

I just had a look at new features page at Wikipedia, and I'm still really happy that I've upgraded to Windows 8.
    In my opinion there have been some really useful new changes.
    For example the Startup tab in Task Manager, which replaces MSCONFIG, shows the impact on boot time for each startup item, making is easier to choose which to disable to speed up boot time.

To be honest, I would probably have stuck with Windows 7 without the $40 upgrade price. However, due to the low price I've bought 2 licences, and will buy another 3 before the end of the month.

I still use Windows 7 too, because as of yet I have not transferred all of my software and data to my Windows 8 partitions. My only realy problem with Windows 8 is that I haven't been able to do an inplace upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - on the computers I've tried to do it on it has failed, and it seems this is a common problem. At least it successfully reverts back to Windows 7 though.

23. Fuzzfas

For me, Windows 8 is a sort of offense to human intelligence. MS trying to convince me, that they really made this for desktops and that there is something "wow" about it, which i don't see, but it's really a better OS from Win7, because...it has... uhhh... app store?

Then you see most people running to find ways to eliminate one of the most important elements of an OS! The UI!!!

I would write it, but he is much more fun to watch saying it:

3:20-3:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q8NOqdFMN8

And i must refer to it as "upgrade". For its several killer applications and upgraded versions of current applications. Oh wait, didn't happen.

24. Fuzzfas

Here are the new features of Windows Me (REAL important features):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_ME

Well, if you 're happy, all the best for you. For me, the "new features" are a joke, even compared to the eliminated ones or the ones you must "dig" to bring back to like (leaving aside the metro issue). I would end up putting more effort in eliminating unwanted things and restoring things i want, than enjoying the new "features".

25. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I either laugh or cry after reading most of your posts containing misinformation and confusion about Windows 8 and its new features.

This might be the third or fourth time I say this to you, but Windows 8 doesn't lack GPU acceleration, it actually forces GPU acceleration by a new version of the now mandatory Desktop Window Manager which also supports stereoscopic 3D while Windows 7's DWM doesn't. More info here.

My patience is little at the moment, so I'll stop my corrections here. Maybe later today I correct more of your wrong statements about Windows 8. Just for the sake of defending truth and fairness on the matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.