Windows 8 Start screen / apps Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gregd, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregd

gregd Registered Member

I have an interesting dilemma. Having already upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, I'm wondering if anyone has tested a 3rd party firewall that throws alerts on both the Start screen or inside of a Windows app? If so, which one(s)?

I have installed the latest version of Outpost Pro and Comodo stable and neither of them do....which is, at best, an irritation, at worst, completely unusable for me. In order to answer the alerts, I have to exit out of the app I'm in, or the Start menu, all the way to the desktop, to answer the alert...pretty stupid.

2. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Haven't tested any 3rd party firewall but,

wouldn't Win+D let you switch back to desktop mode and then pressing Win+Tab switches you right back last used app in UI mode.

3. gregd

gregd Registered Member

Yes, the keycombos work. It's the process that irritates me. Firewall popups/virus popups should preempt anything else I may be doing on my laptop. As a for instance, suppose I were in an app and somehow ended up with a virus?

It's just poor design to have to keycombo my way back to the default desktop to answer these sorts of alerts.

4. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

All of Windows 8 is bad design -.-

That being said when I tried the KIS 2013 Beta (Now final) on Windows 8 it didn't display anything either. Windows 8 doesn't want you to have things on top of your apps they're full screen monstrosities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.