Windows 8 rescue disk question

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kelkay, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

I just got a Win 8 desk top. I was going to make a rescue disk for my Eset Nod 32 anti virus program. It wants a Windows AIK root folder info. It says I don't have it, or it is corrupt. This may pertain to Win 7 and below. It has a link to download this, but I am not sure if it is compatible with Win 8. I have had Eset av for years now. But I wish there was an easier way to create a disk. I am not going to download anything until I know it is right. I tried to use HD Tune, and ERUNT...but neither is updated I don't think for Win 8. All I wanted from HD Tune was to see if this disk had any errors on it. Erunt is good for a back up registry, ya never know when you need that. If anyone knows about this AIK, please inform me. Thanks.

2. manak

manak Registered Member

I agree with you.

I usually recommend to use Kaspersky Rescue Disk to my friends and co-workers. It's easy to create, good cleaning result and it's free.

3. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

Thank you. I did not realize you could use that, if you don't have Kaspersky. I used to, but it had too many messages on there for me to handle, and I wasn't sure what to do. I will look into the disk, thanks.

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

5. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

Thanks Janus, I will try that too. Maybe between the both of them, I will be able to boot up, in an emergency!

6. er34

er34 Guest

Ever since ESET creating such an option, this has been very complicated to do.

There are many other alternatives (rescue disks) which require you spend less time, less efforts, less disk space.

It takes time to read the instructions, to download the big Microsoft download, to install it, to download EAV/ESS MSI installer file, to finish creating the system rescue disk.

On the other side, there is free Linux based AVIRA system rescue disk, which is less time consuming, doesn't require any installation or huge download. Available in ISO (if you already have cd/dvd burning solution - Windows 8 has one built in) on in EXE (if you don't have burning program):
    http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-antivir-rescue-system

There are Hitman Pro KickStart, DrWeb disk and Kaspersky - similar to AVIRA (DrWeb is too slow to scan but ok, Kaspersky is also slow but installs some things on the physical disk). Still they are also easier to run than ESET's own sys rescue.

Even Microsoft's own free system rescue disk, called Windows Defender Offline, is way faster, smaller and doesn't install huge AIK:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

ESET should really consider Linux based rescue scanner (similar to the one AVIRA has made). I once contacted their support on Slovakia who promised they were going to release a Linux based rescue disk by the end of 2011 - we are now in 2013 - still no Linux based disk.

The rescue solutions from AVIRA, DrWeb, Kaspersky are OS independent and will work on Windows 8, too. Microsoft's already works on Windows 8, too.

7. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

ER...thanks. I just downloaded the Windows Defender Offline. So now I have it, and Kaspersky. They are much easier. I put them both on my flash drive, and a dvd too. That way if I have trouble with one, I can have a back up plan. I like back up plans very much. :D

8. er34

er34 Guest

You are welcome.

Note that in case you need to use Windows Defender offline, you need to restart the exe you downloaded and make a bootable disk/USB with it right before using it because it updates its definitions and engine before every creation. I am not sure it will be able to auto-update itself if you run it in non Windows environment.

Kaspersky is Linux based and it will be able to update itself. However, if you encounter problems, you will need to redownload and recreate it.

Generally speaking best would be to keep these just in mind and in case you need one - create it fresh right before using it.

Yes, you saw it already :)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

9. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

So I just downloaded the file, and did not execute the file. If I do that, I was afraid it would try to run the rescue, which is a last resort right? I just sent the files without opening them to my flash drive, and dvd. Are you saying that I need to open the file, and then place that on my flash drive, and cd instead? Sorry, I am a bit confused on that.

10. er34

er34 Guest

No, just remember them, or write their names down. And when you need to use them , then download, open and run them. What you download now may be too obsolete when you possibly need to use it in some time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  11. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

That is true. But, if your computer won't run at all, and you put the boot disk in, it will give you the ability to download the newest rescue? Won't it start up in safe mode once you put the rescue disk in? Please forgive my ignorance. I am over 50, so this doesn't really all come naturally to me. :cool:

12. er34

er34 Guest

It depends. It depends on the system rescue disk and what OS it is based on and what software that OS will have to help you reburn the new disk or to recreate the USB flash.

If your computer won't run at all - Microsoft have other options more appropriate than antivirus rescue disks - Windows recovery disk, Advanced start up options:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-usb-recovery-drive-in-windows-8/

Some Links are for Windows 7, but its the same in Windows 8. Control Panel -> Windows 7 File recovery - Create ...

With the system recovery disk, you can run memory diagnostics, Windows check disk, you can run other utilities, you can recover using system restore, and the best -> you can use your image to revert to previous condition. Use your search engine for more information on these.

Should the need arises of AV rescue disk, then you can create it from any other computer.

No, when you run from the rescue disk, it loads the content from this disk to the RAM and it does not use your operating systems, it does not load from the hard disk drive. That is the point of the recovery disk - to scan from outside location when Windows is not loaded, when the malware is not loaded in Windows.

Don't worry about that, you are fine. I am also not 34 years old :)

13. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

I am going to have to give what you said some thought. You have been very helpful. Maybe I can pull this off. I really do appreciate all the help. :D

14. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Support for reliable creation of ESET SysRescue discs under Microsoft Windows 8 will be available in a subsequent version of the software. In the meantime, ESET SysRescue discs can be created using an older version of Microsoft Windows.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

Good to know, thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.