Windows 8 - privacy nightmare ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by popcorn, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Apologies if this has already been covered here, haven't seen if so.

I have recently Installed Windows 8 in a small partition on my HDD primarily just to take a look.
    First thing I noticed is the OS wants my/a Microsoft account email and then my/a phone number, this I suppose could be handy to link devices and use the cloud ie skydrive if so desired.
    I declined and created a "local" account, however this did beg the question if I had given an email linked to my true identity or my phone number would the entire OS and everywhere I visited online be traceable back to me ?
    If this is the case no amount of technology, VPN's/TOR/JonDO etc would make a sight bit of difference, I might as well give my name and phone number to each site as I connect.
    As I write this I'm thinking this cannot be the case, I'm missing something glaringly obvious, but I can't see it. If this was the case surely I would know as the backlash would be massive...wouldn't it ?
    Can someone pls tell me why I'm wrong....

2. er34

er34 Guest

Officially most Microsoft services does not share information in between the way Google does. However, they can share some information if you want to. Example of not sharing (this is official, I don't work @ MS and I don't know how really it is): licensing codes are just licensing codes and they do not share information with the ModernUI programs for example.

Microsoft want you to cream MS account (name, email, tel.) so that they can be used :
    by the program's settings (to get to the cloud some Windows account personalizations such as settings) so that they can be syncs with other Windows 8/RT devices
    by the ModernUI apps and Windows Store to sync apps between devices and is some apps needs to use your account (such as Skype for Windows 8 , or Mail).

Microsoft account is not used for other things as I have said they officially do not share information with other MS services like Google services. (as far as I know). For example, when you log in to one service, you don't see all other things from other services. If you use Skype with your MS account, this info is not directly passed to other MS services (like with Google).

Tel. number and/or alternative email is asked in case you have lost your password for the account - they are just recovery options or extra protection options. They will send you SMS if you lost your password, or you if want extra protection MS will send you SMS with unique code before your login (this is excellent if using from non-secure connections or public computers).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  3. popcorn

Ok thanks for response :thumb:
    so bottom line is there is nothing to worry about...
    To be honest though I still feel a little uneasy with the thought that my entire OS is potentially linked to me.
    Maybe I'm paranoid :eek: but I guess the obvious thing is a anon Microsoft account and throw away phone number...

4. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

You give your personal information when buying windows license. Taking product id or whatever. End of the game. But their policy says "gathered data will not be used to identify you".

It wouldn't help you. They can easily attach your identity with "anon Microsoft account" using product id.

5. popcorn

They are lots of ways to get non-official copies of windows, granted now with w8 this isn't as straight forward as with previous releases but non the less still possible.
    Not that I am condoning or promoting pirating, but it happens, in my case I like to try before I buy.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Why bother with Windows 8?

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Really that is what I am wondering.

8. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Amen ... Microsoft needs to get their heads screwed back on straight. Happily running windows vista and seven. I don't foresee a new operating system at least for another 6-7 years.

9. popcorn

As originally posted I have it installed on a small partition to take it for a spin on bare metal, wheres the harm in that ?
    I am more than happy with 7 and my VM's but I wanted to make my own mind up on 8 in regards to speed/performance can't do this in a VM - unfortunately I don't have the RAM or processors to spare to do it justice.
    Ok let me spin this round to those Windows users with an opinion...Excluding the generic argument - "the so called metro GUI sucks" why not bother with windows 8 ?
    Devils advocate here :eek:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Why not bother? Because 7 is fine right now as it is and there is no reason to. The usual generic argument for those who don't want to buy the "latest and greatest".

It's entirely up to the individual. If you like it, go for it. If not, don't. There are millions of people on either side of the argument. Bottom line: It's up to you... :)

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I am going to stick with windows 7 as long as possible.:D

12. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

It does not suck is touch oriented, so it sucks when you use it with a mouse.
    Because if we take off the "metro interface", some security additions and some minor tweaks, 8 becomes 7 without media center (additional pack in 8 ).

Panagiotis

13. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Actually I guess it's pretty cool to experiment and test things out.

14. popcorn

Totally agree :thumb:
    I've surprised myself :eek: the more I use it the more I like it,
    The "Metro" GUI takes a lot of getting used to but it does have it's attractions, the jury is still out here but I would recommend taking a peek, you never know :eek:

15. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

You don't need to worry about privacy on Windows, they are bound by the EULA and privacy organizations keep a very close eyes on Microsoft
    not to mention the chinese have the entire windows source code.

16. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Good idea.

Me too.

17. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

With each and every Windows OS released these days more & more concessions need to be made.

At this rate, by Windows 10 you won't be able to even use the OS without giving up your home address, phone number, next of kin, and CC information. 100 services running, all requiring outbound access. Maybe even a blood sample. And I wouldn't trust that they aren't going to use the info. for nefarious purposes because they say so. Why else would they want to gather it? And let's just say they're the type of entity that could get around the system of checks and balances put into place to prevent such measures from being abused. It's called lots and lots of $$$

Why bother with Win8?... indeed. Why bother with any of them anymore? When EOL for XP ends I'll either keep using it regardless (supported via patches by our good friends at MSFN perhaps)... or migrate to Linux. I won't be making these "concessions".

18. To the OP: for now it's just the usual cloud-based rubbish. Opting out and using a normal local account is possible during the install, and probably after; the option is a little hard to locate during install, but it is there.

(And I suspect it will remain there in the future. I doubt Microsoft could sell the idea of Hotmail-based workstation accounts to its corporate customers.)

That said, no, I don't really like the trend.

19. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

20. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Gullible Jones,

If possible and if legal, could you give the steps to do that?
    Would be interesting to know whether it is possible when you buy a computer with pre-installed Win8.
    Thanks.

21. Wild Hunter

22. Wild Hunter

Other steps: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-user-account

23. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Wild Hunter,

Thank you very much!

24. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I'm reading a lot of FUD in this thread.

Windows 8 has some slight teething issues, I have not heard complaints of privacy breaches any worse than Windows 7.

25. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

The average, non privacy concerned user doesn't care about privacy infringement. They will gravitate towards Windows 8 out of sheer convenience especially when Windows 7 computers no longer exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.