Windows 8 Metro audio problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I've found something really annoying with Windows 8. I had some streaming audio running from the Metro version of Internet Explorer. It was working just fine until I pressed the Windows key to go back to the Metro tiles, and then the sound was muted until I returned to the browser Window.

Apparently this is done by design, to ensure maximum battery life. Here is the problem - I was running the laptop plugged into AC, in fact I will never be running this laptop form battery as the battery has almost no life left. From what's I've just read online, you can get around this by pinning a website as a tile and starting it from there.

On the plus side however, Windows 8 is running fast and working just fine on a 7 year old laptop (Toshiba Qosmio G31). I was even able to replace the audio driver Windows installed with the Vista audio driver from Toshiba's website which has virtual surround sound. I have found that some older laptops have problems with Windows 8 however, an old HP/Compaq had device problems which caused a device notification sound to by triggered every few seconds.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.