Windows 8 - Looks really awsome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

1) Yes.

2) No.

3) Yes, but not in the dev build. Leaked releases (illegal) can be formatted with Paragon (or paragorn, something like that) which is reportedly faster.

4) No.

EDIT: Ah, someone's answered all of this lol

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

3. Hungry Man

Re: Disable Windows 8 Metro UI

Don't bet on that always working...

and it's so silly to disable it.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hmm, "Secure Boot". I'm not so sure about that one. Do they mean only the files needed to boot the OS, or anything that is scheduled to run at boot time..like lots of security software? Metro apps running in a more secured environment sounds like someone is wanting to make sure people are buying only apps from the store. Applocker and Bitlocker won't mean a thing unless they are included in all editions of Windows.

Honestly all this sounds nice, but let's be real, these and the AV are the first things hackers are going to hammer away at. Sure, I'm being pessimistic, but that just means my jaw won't hit the floor when it happens, and I'll be prepared for it coming.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It sounds more like MS is trying to phase in sandboxing per application and is using this new development platform as a start to slowly phase it in rather than risking breaking anything with old programs. Too much change in 1 go is bad.

8. Hungry Man

Secure environment could mean sandboxed apps.

I think the secure boot is just like with ChromeOS - if the OS has been tampered with it'll notice. Not sure how it'll work.

App/Bitlocker in every version would be nice. I'll be getting Ultimate anyways I'm sure.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I hope they do bring sandboxing in. I'd take that over every other security thing they throw at me. You know, in another post I mentioned the possibility of Sandboxie-type protection would be fantastic built in. But, actually, I'd prefer a Returnil-type environment built in. "Oh crap, I just got hosed!....Oh, wait, no I didn't...reboot!" :D

10. elapsed

I believe that's what the restore functionality does. I'd rather not try it myself but I'm sure a professional will demo it eventually.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Better yet, get rid of editions all together. I suppose there is still a reason to have a "Starter" edition for the extremely low power netbook systems, but other than that, kill it. I'm sure people are forgetting, but the economy is dead pretty much around the world. That doesn't leave a lot of people able to buy the super duper versions. Not that MS cares, but hey, lol.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I must have missed the restore function mentions. I'm assuming it's not system restore, as we all know how that usually goes. But yeah, if they are putting something in there like what I mentioned, that would be killer.

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I think this is something similar to Returnil (I never really checked what it does.) or even COMODO Time Machine (withou actually breaking the MBR :argh:).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-Reset-and-Refresh-Make-Reinstalling-Obsolete-221927.shtml

Read all, but keep focus at the last part, which is what I believe is what you're looking for?

And, I also agree Microsoft should ditch all Windows editions, and only stick with two: Windows 8 and Windows 8 Server. Being that the only difference would be that the Server edition would have things to work with Active Directory and all that.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Reset and Refresh sounds great on paper. I hope it works as well as they are claiming it will. It sounds like no more dealing with default install crapware coming back after you took time to get rid of it all, as well. I'm not sure how much the command tool will be used, unless you can treat it like an imaging app, in that as you add more to your system, the baseline grows to include it as well. The command thing confuses me a bit, actually.

15. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Several new bug fixes have been released today ;)

16. elapsed

Just fired up windows update and saw 6 updates, thanks for the heads up! I love that they are maintaining and improving it via Windows Update.

17. Hungry Man

As I thought, sandboxing.

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/windows8/winrt-replacing-win32-140605

EDIT
    You can now System Restore through F8 (no safe mode yet or ever??)

System Reset uninstalls everything/ restores the OS area but leaves your files alone.

Or maybe that's refresh. The other one deletes everything and reinstalls the OS. BAsically a reformat.

There's also another tool "Automatically repair Windows", which I Tried whne I couldn't boot up. It couldn't fix the issue but I just system restored and all was well.

18. philby

philby Registered Member

19. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

In my case, when i did the Reset i was asked to insert Windows8 disc.

20. philby

philby Registered Member

I can't even get that far! For both refresh + reset, I get a 'This program is disabled' dialogue, but I don't know why.

I'm also getting freezes and hangs every couple of minutes and keep having to restart via VB. The only thing I can think it might be is that about 20 drivers are shown as not loading at boot in Event Viewer.

I've assigned 3GB RAM, 256mb graphics and am using an 18GB VDI with 32bit 8.

I've also disabled Metro via regedit.

21. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

The dev is out for download. Wait till it mess up other peoples pc first before I will install it

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

They should just create a separate version (MetroUI) for tablets, being Microsoft that should be hard. Other than that, explorer ribbon, and more built-in bloat, I think I like it.

Currently VMware doesn't support it, so I'll wait until it does before trying.

23. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

You can disable all new features (ribbon, lock screen, metro) with MetroController.

24. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Does anyone already tried to install Sandboxie?

I installed and did a little test with Shadow Defender .325 x32, and it worked just fine.

25. Hungry Man

Sandboxie crashes when I try to run it. I can install it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.