Windows 8 - Looks really awsome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

From the link: "Windows 8 will help people work harder and faster".
    Now it's clear why people don't like it!

More priceless stuff: " ... to effortlessly move between what they want to do and what they need to do"

And: "Metro creates "an immersive experience that helps eliminate distractions"." to be distinguished from this.

Last edit. Promise! Maybe we'll see Cinnamon for Windows?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Charge of the Metro brigade: Did Microsoft execs plan to take a hit?

Article

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

They should be!

:rolleyes: Yeah, in my country we have a phrase for this kind of language, we call it 'complete & utter bollocks'. :D

4. Daveski17

This sounds about right. I certainly wouldn't disbelieve that the Micro$haft hegemony wasn't capable of this kind of thinking & behaviour. I suppose some would call it progress. Meanwhile in the real world, I doubt that most laptop & desktop users are going to immediately or inevitably embrace touchscreen technology (unless they buy tablets). In the economic climate today, it is more likely that they & any institutions will try to do more with the same hardware that they already own. In Europe, Ubuntu is starting to be seen as a very viable OS for institutions such as schools, colleges, hospitals & the like. In France particularly, it has been embraced even by the Government, Military etc.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

After having played with it a while if using the keyboard shortcuts effectively I actually find it takes less keystrokes to do the same thing in 8 than what it did in 7. Having used PCs since the days of DOS I am no stranger to the keyboard. Since they said the start menu isn't coming back I am prepared to make peace with it. As I work in IT, development, and customer support, I am going to have no choice but to learn how to deal with it all. :doubt:

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, that'll be tough... I've used it enough to find my way around also, and overall, it really isn't that bad. But I just don't think it's going to be well received by what we'd call the average user. Also, I know that using key shortcuts is often more efficient and faster, I used to use them in Excel 2003 constantly, but having to use them in the Windows gui is like taking a step backwards to the old days to me... When the time to buy a new pc comes, I'll have to make up my mind whether I want to adapt to 8, or maybe move to linux. Of course I will also always have my copy of 7 here.. I suppose I could wipe a new pc clean and install that. I'm glad 7 support goes on for a long time, that's definitely a good thing.

7. Daveski17

Well, I can't really be objective as I haven't used it yet. It just isn't looking too good from what I can see though. I may be buying a new laptop later this year. I don't know whether I should hold on to see how the new release fares or try & find a computer still running 7. I may just wait for a bit & see how it all pans out, although I suppose I would have to get used to 8 eventually. I doubt it being used much in education yet for a while. Most computers I have seen there are running XP or 7 quite contentedly. For all I know I'll like 8. I doubt it somehow though.

I have found Start8, which may be quite useful for many.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/.../04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

10. Daveski17

Yeah, it looks great for a tablet. Maybe Win 9 will be the real new desktop version?

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I was in the same situation when Vista was coming out. I rushed to buy a new laptop with XP on it. Then 6 months later I was running Vista on it anyway. :doubt:

12. Daveski17

My brother did exactly the same thing, except eventually he swapped XP for a MacBook.

I still like Vista, I liked XP & I like Win 7 (a lot), but I still run Vista on my notebook. I'd probably dual boot with Ubuntu before I upgraded to Win 8 on it. At least Vista has a few years of support left. Win 8 looks great for a tablet, I'm not going to upgrade either Vista or Win 7 to it on my existing machines though.

13. moontan

moontan Registered Member

apparently, Windows 8 is the last version of Windows that will be 32 bits.

i originally intended to get a new computer when Win 8 would come out.
    but with this economy, i think i will wait for Win 9.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

15. Daveski17

Did you count the "one for devices running ARM chips" version? I'm not sure what ARM chips are, unless they are really good with plaice.

Likely 62.77 quid more :eek: ... never mind ... MSE/Defender is shipped as standard.

16. Daveski17

I bought a 64 bit computer about 14 months ago. It's only comparatively recently that I've actually been able to surf with a 64 bit browser!

That's probably a wise move. I've put off any medium term plans for buying a new laptop computer. I will have a good look at Win 8 before I make any decisions. I'm even considering eventually purchasing a machine pre-installed with Ubuntu.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Windows RT is the one for ARM (pretty much tablet PCs), so I'm still confused.

18. guest

guest Guest

What's the confusion?

4 versions:
    - Windows 8
    - Windows 8 Pro
    - Windows 8 Enterprise
    - Windows RT

19. guest

guest Guest

Maybe you didn't read the full text of the blog post. If you scroll down the page, you can read:

From: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/.../04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

20. Daveski17

Yeah, unless the journalist in the article was counting the Enterprise version as a separate one. In my experience, most journalists have enough difficulty just telling the truth, let alone being able to count properly. ;)

21. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Windows 8 diet exposes Microsoft's weak ARM

Article

22. guest

guest Guest

Some people really love to nitpick when it comes to Microsoft.

23. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Don't shoot the messenger. :)

24. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I agree with that article, to an extent. It isn't exactly clear why people should pick an ARM tablet over an x86 tablet, that's something that needs to be taught. But to me it seems that ARM tablets will appeal to average users where battery life matters, and x86 tablets will be for enterprise and power users. The article makes it out as if one is better than the other, which in my opinion, isn't the case. They both have distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Agreed, even simpler than before. Maybe one day there will be just 1 x86 version. :D

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You're quoting the wrong article, the one I posted mentioned no enterprise, and, by the chart you can see where the idea of 3 versions came from. I'd also hardly call that simpler than before as well. Really it's just as convoluted as before. 4 versions? Come now. I think it's perfectly fine to "nitpick" MS when they are still leaving great security options out of home versions, and continuing the multiple version BS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.