Windows 8 - Looks really awsome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It is not like MS care about feedback, except reporting bugs. "Microsoft will not be adding back the Start Button". And even Office will be released with huge/metro icons. o_O

2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Bad move IMHO, they should care about what the clients want/need. I think that many people will try to install Win7 in new machines that come Win8 pre-installed; the same way many people opted to remove Windows Vista from new computers to install XP.

3. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Windows 8 is no longer optimized for a mouse but instead a touch screen. Are companies actually going to install this OS across the enterprise? What value does this OS add to productivity? I do not want to play musical conductor on a touch screen when I use an OS. Hey, we still have 7 plus years left on Windows 7 support.

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

What's wrong with the current Office 2010 layout? o_O :mad: It serves me well, and will serve me well for a long time, as Windows 7 will. And, quite soon I'll be installing Linux (will be getting a new hdd in mid-May. :D )

I really don't understand how a company that is all about the millions/billions of $s, screws up this way... :doubt:

Maybe someone is trying to kill Windows... from the inside. :ninja:

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i am gonna skip Windows 8 entirely and wait to see what's in store for Windows 9.

even if they were to fix the Metro issue i don't think i would pay for the new changes in Windows 8.
    i can get 2 or 3 tanks full of gasoline for the price of the upgrade.lol

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There is really only one way I can see for MS to fix this, and that's to allow the user to choose between Metro and a Standard Desktop. If they do that, especially for new computer buyers, then I think everything will work out ok. If they don't, and force Metro on everyone, then I think it's massive fail time. But we'll see soon enough... :)

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes I agree. If you could just set it for desktop & not have to worry about the giant ugly smartphone that Metro resembles it could work.

I certainly won't upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 on my main PC. I can see Win 8 being bypassed by most non-tablet users who will wait for Win 9 or something. I still say that Ubuntu are going to benefit from this the most!

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have installed and played with 8 several times now, and I can say that I won't be using it. I will either stick with 7 as long as it's supported, or else I will use one of my favorite linux distros. At the moment, I use mostly 7.

If 8 really tanks, I can see Apple benefitting a lot...

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Unless Windows 9 ends up being a full Metro Windows. :D

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hahaha... then we're doomed!

11. Daveski17

Possibly, but Apple products are expensive in my country, & I need both of my kidneys.

China arrests after kidney sold for iPad

12. Daveski17

Don't even joke about it! :eek:

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

True... Apple products are expensive everywhere....

14. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

From some of your posts (now scream ad hominem attack), I think you need to look after your liver a bit more :D

16. Daveski17

Hmmm ... I only do everything in moderation. ;)

Back on topic meanwhile ... I honestly think that the touchscreen thing will be the last rites for Win 8 for many users. Obviously they work on tablets, but I can't see that many running out to buy new laptops or expensive new touchscreen PC monitors. I certainly can't see this happening in the corporate world either, let alone in hospitals, schools, colleges etc. There Win 7 will probably rule for decades!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  17. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I amazes me how can a millionaire company like Microsoft, with decades of monopoly, produces a OS that is a bloat (just compare the system requirements and speed of most Linux distros with Windows Vista/7) and so unsafe for the average user (is also impressive how some vulnerabilities remains unpached for years). And now they are removing the classical functional desktop, to change to something that nobody can figure in what will benefit the final user :ninja:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU

18. Daveski17

Don't you mean multi-billionaire company?

And yes, I agree. My first custom built desktop ran XP perfectly with just over half a Gb of RAM & running at about 1.6 GHz CPU. Mind you, thse days you will need at least a Gb of RAM to run Ubuntu. However, Lubuntu, Xubuntu & other distros would be able to run on it (if I ever figure the WiFi on it).

19. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I still run XP on an old Dell Pentium 400Mhz with 384MB or ram and it still does what I need it to do which is browsing the web and running some programs once in a while. And, I still haven't gotten a virus on it.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Even if I wanted to buy a big touchscreen monitor for my desktop, I sure as heck can't see myself holding my arm up all day using it... LOL... :)

21. Daveski17

Yes, I really don't know why MS needed to pump up the volume with Vista to need a minimum of 1Gb of RAM.

22. Daveski17

Yeah, maybe there's an app for holding your arms up all day by M$. LOL!

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha.... :)

24. Daveski17

Honestly, it seems to me that the MS devs have been given a sound thrashing with the 'stupid stick'. It doesn't matter how much I try to rationalise what MS are doing with Win 8/Metro, it seems to me to be just 'daring to be stupid'.

Daring Stupid Ideas:

#1: Removing the traditional (& much liked) 'Start' button.

#2: Combining a tablet & desktop version OS.

#4: Making that version inconvenience traditional desktop users while promoting Metro.

#5: Trying to reintroduce touchscreen use for traditional desktop users.

#6: Ignoring research that indicates that touchscreen for desktop is tiring & often avoided by users ipso facto.

Again, Weird Al says it all better than I could. :)

25. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Can you believe this? :rolleyes: I think MS is worried.
    Article

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.