Windows 8 - Looks really awsome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Um..the same way they always have? People who don't want/need Windows, have a choice to go to Linux. It's been that way, it will always be that way. Linux won't "fight" with it though. It's never had a chance of fighting Windows and, for the foreseeable future, it will still stand no chance of it. Windows 8 is not going to change the world, it's an OS (and I'm a Windows user). They'll likely still continue on with the nonsense tradition of "editions", and we'll still have Patch Tuesdays.

3. philby

philby Registered Member

...and now this too:

Built-in antivirus software will ship in Windows 8

Great! :rolleyes:

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

But that's a beautiful thing. It's a long damned time coming, actually. It's not as if you'll be handcuffed to it. If you still want to use Norton/Avast/Avira and so on, you'll have every chance to do so.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That'll end up helping a heck of a lot more people than it harms.... It's a good thing.

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Windows defender is an amazing thing. While I personally do not have any antiviruses running I think that having default protection like that is a wonderful step. Good on Microsoft for continued development.

And Ubuntu has never fought Windows lol that's like asking how Opera will fight the latest Firefox - it won't.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It has a built in AV and STILL uses 200mb less RAM than Win7 and boots faster, what's your point? Now I have 1 less thing to worry about when installing Windows.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

At least Opera has a slightly better chance than a snowball in Hades :D Linux has a single snowflakes' chance. On topic, sort of: Isn't Windows Defender kind of dead? I thought MS incorporated most, if not all of it into MSE?

9. elapsed

No it's reborn as a real AV in Win8.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's what I get for skimming through an article, thanks for the info.

11. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I always liked the name Defender better than MSE ;)

12. philby

philby Registered Member

My point was only that it's one more thing to turn off or get rid of.

I accept that completely Kerodo.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey, as long as it works properly and is effective, they can use the idiotic naming scheme Android uses for code names for all I care :D

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes sure it is not going to change the world but I am pretty sure that this touch-centric OS is sure going to change the PC world altogether. iPad started it and windows 8 is going to take it to the next level. Just wait and see.

Linux? yes sure they will follow something similar to it. I am sure. They will now support ARM, tablets and they will also bring a real touch-friendly GUI. It,s ought to happen.

15. elapsed

Not really, you've always had to disable defender. If you didn't, your AV did and you don't need to do anything. So I don't see this comment holding ground.

Also for all you know it might actually be pretty good.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Unless you prefer using as much built-in security as possible, and it turns out to be a great AV. Think about it, no free version toolbars/3rd party BS to worry over, no monthly/yearly fee, no "Like" buttons (freakin Avast). Like I said, if it works well, I'm cool with that.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'll be waiting, watching the "end is nigh" announcements of the PCs' demise continue to be spouted off in the media, watching tablets that don't have the name "Apple continue to fail, and so on, and so forth. A PC will continue to be able to do things smartphones and tablets can't. And, with data caps and bandwidth charges continuing to rise, watching as people decide whether they really want to do too much of what these devices can do.

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I just hope that the other security vendors won't play the victim and European Union force Microsoft to have a separate Windows version. :blink:

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, I didn't think of that. Never count out the EU though, if something stupid can be done, they'll do it.

20. elapsed

For anyone planning on installing the preview in 3 hours that missed it, MS plan on feeding updates via Windows Update as they incrementally improve the OS (bugfixes and features). This will hold true all the way until beta, and hopefully even the beta changes will be pushed through.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  21. m00nbl00d

I think Microsoft could argue back, though. Something like Would you prefer European Unition citizens to have crippled free antiviruses or no longer functioning trial versions? :D

I think that companies like Symantec, McAfee, etc will also fight back... Or, are OEMs going to purposefully disable Windows 8 default antivirus and install the trial versions? :eek: (This should be forbidden!!) Unless Microsoft pays the OEMs more... :argh:

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ofcourse PCs will stay but used less n less for every day work.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think they might end up with giving choices like for browsers.

24. m00nbl00d

I honestly hope they won't. And, I want to believe that the Internet Explorer event was nothing more than someone that gave an order, simply because they had hemorrhoids.

I don't know... Will trial versions be suggested as well? Will users end up installing crap they don't understand in the first place?

Let's see... What's in the menu?... Norton Antivirus, Kaspersky, avast, AVG [...] WTF?!!! There's dozens of crap here!!! :D

I talked about the most common names... But, what about the most unknown names? In all fairness they should be given as choices as well.

I just hope they will all support ASLR! lol

25. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! I think the EU legislators wake up in the morning in Brussels & try & create as many pointless new laws as they can before teatime.

To be honest though, what's the real difference between a Microsoft AV shipped with Windows & downloading MSE?

Many people predicted the end of other AV companies when Microsoft released MSE. AFAIK Symantec, McAfee, F-Secure, Bit Defender inter alia are all still selling antivirus software.

I have MSE installed on both of my computers & the only thing I really don't like about it is that I actually quite miss the original Windows Defender. It may have been getting a bit long in the tooth but it had some great tools on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.