Windows 8 is a flop

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Seven64, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I agree.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Laptop (Windows 8 64 bit Standard). I installed Start8 and learned about pressing the "x" key while holding down the Windows key. I am now able to live with Windows 8. I would have preferred Windows 7, but it was not available.

3. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Well the way the pattern is going, the next version might be a hit.:doubt:

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

It is Not surprise that some people do not like windows 8.
    it is surprising that people seem to love XP considering XP was unreliable until SP2. windows vista worked great from SP1 and windows 7 and 8 work without a service pack I call that progress.

5. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Dunno whats the fuzz, Win8 is a great OS, it may work ok on some computers, not good in others, as all previous windows versions, but its been a great experience for me and every one i know. I think users dont like it because its more difficult to pirate or something or because they missed the $14.99 usd offer for Win8Pro.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I feel it is that people do not like change and the fact that they need to press a few more buttons to get to the desktop and change a few settings.

7. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Yeah it was a pitb the first days, but eventually one gets used to it and becomes transparent, i think metro is a start button but on full screen :D

8. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

People are fine with change as long as they see a benefit with it.

9. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Very true, I don't want my computer to act/look like a phone, if I want that I will get a phone. The whole "Metro" look is not for me, and apparently not for most (slumping sales).

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Calling Windows 8 a flop is a bit of a stretch, it's growing market share every day, and is on over 13% of Steam users PCs. Going further and claiming the management shakeup (which has been needed for years) is a result of Windows 8 is sensationalist nonsense. We've all heard of the internal "warring" between Microsoft divisions for years, it was sorely needed to connect the company together and compete with Apple and Google.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I do not think that is the only reason.
    I worked out the other day that the first two of my computers I replaced within 4 years but my last computer latest nearly 7 years before I decided to replace it.
    The speed of computers is not increasing as fast at it used to so people do not need to buy computers as much.
    the other thing is that some people who only use their computer for basic stuff such as checking emails,using facebook and buying stuff online can do that on a tablet which is faster for those tasks.

I use my computer for gaming and other quite intensive tasks and cannot see me using anything other than a desktop as my main computer for along time.

12. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Same here (gaming, e-mail, surfing) what is 8 trying to accomplish besides being trendy, and losing money for the companyo_O?

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the main reason I got windows 8 was due to it being £25 at the time and Learning it to Support customers for work. I have got used to it.

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The article is not about Win 8 being a flop, there is a general shift from computer users towards tablets and smartphones which has affected laptop and desktop computers sales. MS is trying to unify all these platforms through Win 8 new metro UI, and I don't think an OS alone is going to stop the current trend.

Vista was a flop? It works perfectly with enough RAM (min 2GB), Win 7 is very similar to Vista but slightly faster, and works perfectly even with 1 GB of RAM. Win 8 is great IMO, fast, stable, I think it is designed mainly for 64 bit machines having a lot of RAM therefore it might not perform well on 32 bit with 1 GB RAM or less .

15. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I really like windows 8. Sure it takes some getting used to, but once you make the effort it's well worth it.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I actually wish my fast computer (laptop) had more smartphone features, for example I cannot understand why laptops don't have 3G or 4G capabilities enabling Internet access anywhere like phones.

17. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Spot on :thumb:

18. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

19. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

They have. You can contract a 4G USB modem from the companies that provide "4G" services.

20. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Yes, but I think his real question was more along of lines of, why isn't it commonly built in (like wi-fi) and why aren't more people using it?

I'd guess the expense of the data plans has a lot to do with it. Many people use their laptops mainly at home these days, so it's not worth paying so much for a mobile plan that (for AT&T and Verizon, at least) limits you to a paltry amount of data.

21. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes I wish that was the case of having this capability offered as an option built in, although Robin A.'s suggestion has piqued my curiosity about a USB modem, I'll have to find out, I'm not sure it's available in Korea, even though 3G and 4G are reasonably priced for unlimited use with smartphones.

I often connect my laptop to the Internet using my smartphone as 'Portable Wi-Fi hotspot' which requires a 3G connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.