Windows 8 - Is 3rd Party HIPS needed

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by harsha_mic, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Hi All,

I would like your opinions on whether is it really needed to have a III party HIPS solutions for Win 8 systems.

Currently i have Avast Free AV (planning to keep it) and Outpost Pro 8.0 (trial) and wondering the necessity of outpost role from various stand points.

HIPS
    Win 8 is having its File reputation system applied at system level along with Avast one (if its signatures failed to miss, its file reputation system kicks in when downloading any files from the net). Outpost will only kick in both W8 and Avast fails.

Firewall
    W8 has both inbound and outbound monitoring. And by default all ports are stealth.
    So, what other benefits i would be getting from outpost firewall. Is it attack detection module/ or more granular level of what process is using what connections?

USB Threat gate:
    Can easily be mitigated by tweaking autorun properties.

My System Config - Win 8 64 bit pro + Avast AV + Outpost pro (trial) + Norton DNS + ABP at browser level

Note: I have attached W8 protections kick in screen shots when connected to net and when not connected.

Appreciate your help. I am just trying to understand areas where potentially i am being covered by outpost additionally.

Thanks, Harsha.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Considering that Windows 8 Pro lacks AppLocker, which is something Windows 7 Ultimate has, I'd probably consider getting something like AppGuard to run in my own system, should I ever get Windows 8 Pro (such as someone offering me a license lol).

Outpost Pro has a HIPS. I see you're running the trial version. Whether or not you'll need something like a HIPS/Anti-executable, it will depend on whether or not you're fine with the setup you have (excluding Outpost's HIPS component).

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I haven't used HIPS (or seen a need for it) since using Vista years ago. I personally love the AppReputation feature and think it's gonna be a great barrier for average PC users, especially the fact that it hides the run button to avoid the usual "just click yes" users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.